Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in South Florida - Question

Options
I need some help with tips on storing lump here in humid S. Florida. Do you need to put it in some type of sealable container or is just "clipping" the top of the charcoal bag sufficient? I just bought my XL yesterday ( 1st one) and it isn't being delivered until my table is finished which is hopefully this weekend. They are delivering my lump too and wanted to know if I need a container ready for it. Anyone from S. Florida have any suggestions on what they do? Otherwise my orders from ceramic grill store, thermoworks, dizzy pig, Amazon and EBay should be here before the grill arrives so I will be ready to go. - Michael

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would grab a charcoal storage container(aka 5 gallon bucket) and use it to prevent moisture build-up.
  • TheEasyLife
    Options
    That was kinda my thought, but was trying to keep my area looking clean and just didn't know if I could get away putting the bag inside the table (where a five gal bucket won't fit) where it would be hidden. I am sure I can come up with something. Just seeing what others do in my climate.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For around $16 you can get a rubbermaid charcoal storage bin.  it fits a 22 pound bag of lump.  I bought mine at academy.   I have a smaller one too, but don't buy many small bags. 
    Options
    I live in the Tampa area, and I just store mine in the garage and have had no issues.  Of course, I don't keep more than a few bags at a time.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    <----Orlando, garage, no issues. Happy egging!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • TheEasyLife
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate the help!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Tampa area. I store the backstock in the garage, and the stuff I use in an old armoire. Haven't had trouble with it except last Thursday when it was really foggy and rainy. Couldn't get it lit well, but I did try lighting it differently which could have caused it. Summer time I've never had issues, but I may pick up a charcoal bin here soon.
    Dunedin, FL
  • EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Options
    Just relocated to Florida from TN and have been having trouble getting charcoal lit.  Have a kick ash basket, shake it, clean out ash in bottom of egg, then put some new lump on top of the old lump coming out of an opened bag in the garage.  Some nights it takes me starting the lump multiple times to get it going.  Using paper towel soaked with canola oil.  In TN would use one, maybe two paper towels.  Now using three and still struggling.  Wife is not happy about the delays in cooking. Any thoughts?

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Since your current approach is not winning any fans, I would change the approach.  Use the search function here for "lighting a fire in a BGE" and you will get many options:  Weed burner; Looflighter, electric starters, wax cubes etc.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @EastTNBGE - just keep doing what your'e doing, maybe it requires a little more babysitting than what you are used to. Stay with it and wait til you know it's lit before walking away...
    I use firestarters and stay with them til I see the charcoal lit.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EastTNBGE
    Options
    @EastTNBGE - just keep doing what your'e doing, maybe it requires a little more babysitting than what you are used to. Stay with it and wait til you know it's lit before walking away...
    I do think I will go back to firestarters.  I used those in the past when I first purchased the egg and got some from the dealer.  Switched to paper towels with bacon grease, but have resorted to paper towels with oil since I have been using so many.  Thank you for the feedback.

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    EastTNBGE said:
    I do think I will go back to firestarters.  I used those in the past when I first purchased the egg and got some from the dealer.  Switched to paper towels with bacon grease, but have resorted to paper towels with oil since I have been using so many.  Thank you for the feedback.
    I don't have humidity issues here in the high desert, but I do have similar lighting problems, based on ambient temps.  
    - During the summer, a half-paper towel that I drained my 2 slices of breakfast bacon on is enough to light the lump every time
    - During Spring and Fall a single firestarter square gets the lump lit
    - When it gets below freezing I use a single firestarter, and pour one shotglass of hi-octane rubbing alcohol from wallie-world onto the lump around the firestarter; 100% success then.  
    Hope this helps!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Lighting fire with fire is the quickest way.  There's a mini weed burner on Amazon that uses camping bottles for $25.  Give it a try.  You can also use a bbq dragon to accelerate the process..
  • EastTNBGE
    Options
    Lighting fire with fire is the quickest way.  There's a mini weed burner on Amazon that uses camping bottles for $25.  Give it a try.  You can also use a bbq dragon to accelerate the process..
    I ordered both of these today.  Thank you for the feedback.  

#BBN