Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Rib "Burnt Ends" and Brisket

JayHawkEye
JayHawkEye Posts: 196
I picked up a package of short ribs and a brisket flat from Sam's. Couldn't decide whick to cook so I cooked both. Put the 7# flat on (mustard/home rub) at 9:30 @225. Added the short ribs at noon:30 and took the little one Christmas shopping.
When I got home at 2:30 I put both brisket and shorties in foil pans with some braising liquids (chocolate porter and bone sucking rub) and covered. Temp boosted to 275*.
Two hours later I removed the shorties and wrapped the flat in foil (still on the egg though).
I cubed the short ends and tossed them with some sauce and put them back on to smoke like burnt ends. The flat was coming out of the stall at that point (about 180*) so I took it out of the foil to firm up the bark.
Pulled everything when the flat was at 206*. Brisket came out okay. Some slices were great, but some were slightly dry. All tasted excellent according to others. But the star of the show was the short rib "burnt ends." Holy Cow! All that rendered fat plus the smoke and sauce was magical! The wife said to make those again anytime.

Shorties after braise

Shorties cubed before re-smoked

Burnt ends (my camera doesn't do justice. The black stuff isn't actually burnt. So sweet and sticky. Like meet candy.)

The flat

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments