Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grid question

So here is the scoop. I am getting a large bge for Christmas. I am wanting to get a cast iron grid right out of the gate based on some comments I have already read. My question is can I get as good a grill marks with the regular CI grid as I could using the smaller CI grid with a spider attachment? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grill marks are a matter of meat resting on a very hot grid getting seared.  The Egg can get very hot so good grill marks are possible using either grid.  Using the spider and the smaller grid puts the meat closer to the burning lump so the grid gets hotter, quicker without neccessarily bringing the entire Egg up to high temp.  This is good for trex or reverse searing for that matter.  I'm getting a spider for Christmas and I can't wait to use it with my small CI grid for this purpose!

Merry Christmas!  Enjoy your new toy!  And best of all, you won't shoot your eye out! 

Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Cast iron retains heat well. I find you get less flair up closer to the coals because you are cutting the oxygen off. Either is fine just give the big one more time to heat up. Also quantity is a question more meat cuts will need more room.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will go with the standard CI grid for the large as I will usually be cooking for a gathering of more than 6-8 folks. Looking forward to learning the ropes with the egg.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    GrillGrates are wonderful for sear marks. Check them out. www.grillgrate.com
  • Grill marks are a matter of meat resting on a very hot grid getting seared.  The Egg can get very hot so good grill marks are possible using either grid.  Using the spider and the smaller grid puts the meat closer to the burning lump so the grid gets hotter, quicker without neccessarily bringing the entire Egg up to high temp.  This is good for trex or reverse searing for that matter.  I'm getting a spider for Christmas and I can't wait to use it with my small CI grid for this purpose!

Merry Christmas!  Enjoy your new toy!  And best of all, you won't shoot your eye out! 

You may, however burn your arm hair off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My vote is for the spider and 13" cast iron grate.  You will get wonderful grill marks without having to heat up such a large surface.  Just make sure you get yourself a pair of long tongs or you will be missing hair on your hands!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • rholt
    Decisions, decisions. Might start with the big grate then delve into a smaller one with a spider if I don't get the desired effect on my meats.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If you've settled on a big CI grate, here's another potential decision for you: http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grids-for-bge-and-kamados/large-eggs-primos-domes.html
    I don't have one but know some folks who do and they like them. I briefly had one in my possession for a 22.5" kettle (won it in a raffle) but I sold it as I had sold my kettle. Quality seemed very good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • rholt
    Hmm. The ability to exchange section out depending on your needs does seem to add anoth level of versatility. Something I will definitely ponder.