Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt is ON!

Ok, dome temp has been at 200 for 2 hours. I'm crashing and NOT checking till morning. The 8 pound butt was injected with Coca-Cola, rubbed with a homemade and topped with some old fashioned French's Mustard. It's sitting on a grid on a drip pan on a reversed plate setter on Apple and Hickory in a hole in the bottom of the Sea. This is my first attempt. I'm going with rockin or crash and burn. Either way, it's a learning experience. AND I may be a bit buzzed up, just sayin. Happy Egging!!!!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I would up that temp to 250-270 overnight. There's a good chance your fire will go out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Pork butts are very forgiving and I am far from an intermediate but my experience has been to cook at a little higher temp. But you can see where you are tomorrow morning and adjust based on time you are looking to grub.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    As stated above, 200 dome is about 175 at the grid.  Your dome needs to be 250-275.
  • If your dome is 200 and you do not have a controller, your fire is most likely going to be out when you wake up in the morning. I can only keep a fire 200 or less with my controller, I am very interested to see if you get lucky and still have a fire in the morning. I have to put my money on the latter though, good luck, let us know.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Duganboy said:
    As stated above, 200 dome is about 175 at the grid.  Your dome needs to be 250-275.
    If he had a controller, he would be more than fine. I have cooked many butts without a controller at 220 dome, the issue he has, is that he is not around to adjust the vents (he will be passed out.)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    250 degrees is very much low and slow.  I think a lot of people make a mistake by thinking that the lower the temp they smoke will make the end result better.
  • bbrawler
    bbrawler Posts: 31
    edited December 2012
    Yep, I geeked that up. Fortunately, I woke up at 3 and went to check it to find a 75 degree dome. Thank God for heat guns. I've been rolling at 275 since three and meat temp is at 170 with 12 hours in. I think it'll all be fine. Did I mention it's a learning experience?? Thanks for the tips!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sounds like my first cook...it'll be great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN