Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something to nosh on! Any Ideas?

Options
So it looks like most of the family will be here on Christmas eve but not on Christmas day. SWMBO has decided she doesn't want a sit down dinner but just a bunch of stuff for folks to nosh on. I'd like to try Turtle Eggs or something. Anybody have ideas for this kind of gathering?
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

This requires a lot of prep but very little eggfort (yes!) the day of. you can do chicken, white and dark, pork tenderloin and beef. Takes only a few minutes on the egg for a batch

Indonesian Satay
    Description: Satay: [Ckicken on a Stick (My Daughter)]
    I do this recipe several times a year. It always goes well and no leftovers especially if there are kids around I usually do pork tenderloin, boneless skinless chicken breast and legs with the same marinade. The chicken breast I remove the filet and slice the breast lengthwise about the size of the tender. After the marinade I flatten the strips with the palm of my hand. Leave thighs whole.
    Ingredients:
    • ½ lb unsalted butter • ¼ Cup brown sugar
    • ½ Cup chopped onion • 1 Cup naturally brewed soy sauce
    • ¼ Cup grated ginger • 1 Cup katjup manis (indonesian sweet soy sauce)
    • ¼ Cup lemon juice • ½ Cup teriaki sauce
    • 1 zest from 1 lemon • 30 or so bamboo skewers
    • 6 Clove garlic (rough chop) • 2 pork tenderloins
    • 2 Tbs or more hot chile flakes Katjup Manis = equal parts molasses, teriaki and soy sauce
    • 3 Tbs coriander seed • bunch coriander/cilantro leaves as garnish
    • 2 Tbs cumin seed
    • 1 Tbs mustard seed
    Instructions: Soak skewers in water
    Toast coriander, cumin chile flakes and mustard seeds in cast iron pan until fragrant (pungent). Break with mortar and pestle.
    Melt butter in saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger and lemon zest over medium heat until onion is transparent.
    Add spices, lemon juice, teriaki soy and ketjap manis and boil 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature
    Cut pork into 1" pieces and pound flat ¼"-3/8". pour ½ the marinade into a glass pan, layer pork pieces cover with remaining marinade. Move meat around so all is coated in marinade. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and marinate two days refrigerated

Skewer pork pieces. Reserve marinade. Set BGE to 325 with a flat, even bed of coals. Place skewers on grill close lid for 5 minutes. Open lid, look for even browning on pieces, turn and rearrange if there are hot spots. Cook for another five minutes and check colour for doneness. Any satays that are not brown and caramelised can be finished with the lid open.
    Srain marinade if desired bring to a boil for five minutes

Notes: Serve satay as a meal with rice and salad with a little of the marinade drizzled over the rice.
    Serve as an appetizer with spicy peanut sauce (commercial brand or blend chunky peanut butter, thai chili sauce, cashews and peanut oil to a mayonnaise consistency)
    Number Of Servings: Source:
    Vegetarian: No Time To Prepare:
    Date: Sun 11 Mar 2007 10:34:43 EDT Viewed: 2266 times

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sausage and honey - find a hot sausage, slice about 1 inch thick, drizzle with honey, and heat on the Egg, oven or zap it.  If you have authentic Polish Kielbasi this works very well.  One of my family's favorite apps.  
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Made pigshots with a herbed goat cheese filler was delicious. Also, a salami sliced thin fanned out and smeared with apricot jelly wrapped in a foil pouch and roast for like 25-30 mins at 375 never egged it but if you did like a foil boat you could get some nice smoke in there too.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    For our neighborhood Christmas party I did pork tenderloins. One with Swamp Venom and one in a teriyaki, evo, brown sugar and garlic marinade. You can find the marinade recipe on here...the tenderloin was served on Hawaiian rolls. lasted about 2 minutes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    How about Jalapeño Shrimp Rumaki with a Szechuan Sauce?  Will post recipe if that is something you'd want to make.

Here it is as a meal, but I've served them as appetizers also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Really, pork butt can be "noshing" food. You leave it out with a pile of rolls and some slaw, and folks eat it all day. To be on the safe side, put out in smallish dishes and plan to put out several a day. 

And @village idiot, I would love the shrimp recipe.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Options
    jlsm said:

And @village idiot, I would love the shrimp recipe.

Jalapeno Shrimp Rumaki in Szechuan Sauce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

10 Jumbo Shrimp

10 slices Jalapenos

5 slices Bacon   

2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine

1 1/2 tablespoons Ginger, minced

2 Garlic cloves, minced

1/2 teaspoons Red pepper  , crushed

1 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce

1 tablespoon Chili Garlic Sauce

1 teaspoon Sugar

2 teaspoons Corn starch

1/2 cup Chicken broth

Directions:

1. Soak toothpicks in water for at least 30 minutes

2. Cook bacon for 30 seconds in microwave

3. Slice jalapeños into narrow slivers

4. Assemble shrimp with jalapeño, ½ slice of bacon, and secure with toothpick

5. For sauce, mix rice wine, ginger, garlic, red pepper, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and sugar in pan and bring to near boiling.

6. Combine corn starch and broth in small bowl and combine to dissolve starch.

7. Add corn starch mixture to soy sauce mixture.  Stir until thickened.

8. Grill shrimp on Egg, turning once.

9. Pour szechuan sauce over shrimp on plate.

Notes:

1 recipe of sauce makes almost 1 cup (a tad less)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas, my daughters both love shrimp so that's a for sure! I will do sliders, either tenderloin or pulled and a variety of other things. I have some steamer trays I can keep things warm in
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Make a bunch of apps. Wings, moink balls, more wings, turtle eggs, more wings, pig shots, more wings, mini pizzas, ABT's, more wings, sausage cheese balls, mussels in a DO, more wings. I seem to be craving wings for some reason. Bruschetta. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings