Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo3+extender or 2 Tier Swing Rack?

I am brand new to the forum and have very little grilling/smoking/bbq experience, so forgive my questions if they do not make much sense.  I just bought a large BGE.  Unfortunately I have to wait until after Christmas to use it, but I am trying to become familiarized with accessories in the meantime.  I already have the ash tool, electric starter, a propane torch and the grid lifter.  I will be getting a plate setter, Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen for Christmas.

I know this is plenty enough to cook with, but looking to the future would I be better off getting something like the PSWoo3 (from cermic grill store) and a grid extender if I need it later or getting something like the 2 tier adjustable swing rack (from ceramic grill works)?  

I like that with the PSWoo3, you can get a smaller cast iron grid to put down in the firebox for searing steaks and I really like that it comes with handles to remove the whole rig and fits the platesetter I already have.  But if you want to cook above the felt line, another raised grid seems to be necessary? How often will I be cooking at or above the felt line? 

I like the simplicity and functionality of the 2 tier rack plus it seems substantial.  However, does it lack flexibility compared to the PSWoo3?  

I already have the plate setter and so do not want the AR at this point.  I will not be doing a lot of big cooks for a while as I will be learning.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams

Comments

• I may be wrong but I think CGS offers a package that includes the adjustable rig and the small woo with all the incidentals you need. I have the PS Woo three and don't use it much. One of my eggs has the mini woo and ar and that is the one I use all the time. Very versatile rig with few moving parts, which is good for me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I think the AR rig and Rib extender is the best thing that you can buy.  It is the most versatile for everything that you will want to do with the egg. 

Make sure you get the oval stone as well, can't remember if it comes with it.  I think if  you one of the "rib extender combos" it does.   I have not used my PS since I have gotten it.

You can come up with your own set up as well, I was able to roast a 18 pound turkey in the LBGE because I found a pan it would fit in and was able to use the racks and oval stone and set the pan inside the AR.  It solved one big problem with LBGE, anything to big on the felt line will be to close IMO to the lid.

Good luck
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Can you use the plate setter with the adjustable rig, or only the PSwoo?
  • I don't see why not, but honestly haven't tried it.  It might not fit inside the Rig now that I try to visualize them both.

Honestly I have the PSwoo3, PS, AR Rig, I got a little accessory happy when I first got the egg because I thought I needed ALL this stuff.  For the most part the PSwoo sits at bottom of my table and is rarely used.  The AR rig is my goto accessory.
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • I have the swing rack and have been happy with it.  The reason I went with the swing rack is that I already owned a plate setter.  I guess if I was to do it over I would probably skipped the plate setter and bought the AR.  image
    Edina, MN

• Thank you for the comments.  I do not think the plate setter will fit with the adjustable rig and unfortunately a family member already bought me a platesetter for christmas, so I would hate to not use it.

Maybe I can figure out a way to return it without somebody getting offended.  It seems most people would not get a platesetter if they had a chance to do it all over again.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • That swing rack does look really nice though.
  • One last question, most would go with the AR over the swing rack?
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    I have the swing rack and really like it. 95% of the time its just the wife and me so I remove the top rack but when the kids come over it's nice to have the extra space.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Budgeezer or RAC,

What do you use to raise up the lower grid on the swing rack to the felt line (if at all)?  Does the swing rack fit easily with the platesetter in for indirect cooks?

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited December 2012
    Budgeezer or RAC,

What do you use to raise up the lower grid on the swing rack to the felt line (if at all)?  Does the swing rack fit easily with the platesetter in for indirect cooks?

If you look @ the photo I posted that is with the plate setter in.  Fits in really easy.  For raised cooking I'm lazy and just put the whole swing rack in and cook on the top tier.

y. Another photo with the platesetter in.
    Edina, MN

• Thank you for the comments.  I do not think the plate setter will fit with the adjustable rig and unfortunately a family member already bought me a platesetter for christmas, so I would hate to not use it.

Maybe I can figure out a way to return it without somebody getting offended.  It seems most people would not get a platesetter if they had a chance to do it all over again.
    You can cut the legs off the platesetter and use in the ar. Not saying you want to but that is what I use

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    NEWB, let me help with a few things.  The platesetter works with either PSWoo.  It's a simple way to raise the 18" stock grid near the felt line for grilling higher.  Or, use the PSwoo and platesetter together to smoke indirect with the 18 grid near the felt line.  As soon as we get the rig extender and new sliding grid into the market, we'll look at making something similar for the PSWoos and other Woos.

The adjustable rig gives you the flexibility to put grids, stones (indirect), pans or just about anything at varying heights above the fire ring.  You can do a simple one grid raised cook or add our stainless grid(s) and do multiple grids.  

One accessory to add versatility to the rig is the rig extender.  We'll be coming out with an upgrade rig extender and new sliding grid very soon.  Like the original extender, the new rig extender provides an elevated work platform in the dome.  Plus (new) it acts as a multi-point support and rail for the sliding grid.  The sliding grid is a D shaped grid for raised grid cooks in the dome.  It sits on the rig extender and slides to the back of the cooker, opening up access to a lower grid and such.  I'm sure you're confused, so below are a couple links to the new sliding grid and upgraded extender on the adjustable rig.  It's our first shot at youtube, so sorry for the rough video. Hopefully, we'll get better as we do more.  

Feel free to call me, if you want to discuss more, numbers on the CGS website. 

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Well now I feel much better informed, but no closer to a decision.  Looks like both the swing rack and adjustable rig are quality products.

Need to make a decision soon.
  • tjv said:
    NEWB, let me help with a few things.  The platesetter works with either PSWoo.  It's a simple way to raise the 18" stock grid near the felt line for grilling higher.  Or, use the PSwoo and platesetter together to smoke indirect with the 18 grid near the felt line.  As soon as we get the rig extender and new sliding grid into the market, we'll look at making something similar for the PSWoos and other Woos.

The adjustable rig gives you the flexibility to put grids, stones (indirect), pans or just about anything at varying heights above the fire ring.  You can do a simple one grid raised cook or add our stainless grid(s) and do multiple grids.  

One accessory to add versatility to the rig is the rig extender.  We'll be coming out with an upgrade rig extender and new sliding grid very soon.  Like the original extender, the new rig extender provides an elevated work platform in the dome.  Plus (new) it acts as a multi-point support and rail for the sliding grid.  The sliding grid is a D shaped grid for raised grid cooks in the dome.  It sits on the rig extender and slides to the back of the cooker, opening up access to a lower grid and such.  I'm sure you're confused, so below are a couple links to the new sliding grid and upgraded extender on the adjustable rig.  It's our first shot at youtube, so sorry for the rough video. Hopefully, we'll get better as we do more.  

tom
    Good vids Tom. Pity you didn't have a better looking cook for it. I don't mean the food BTW ;;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Hey NEWB..I'm sure the decision is a hard one, in the perfect world and wallet both products would be great tools to have.  Our system is a simple but an effective one and it works with the platesetter which you already have.  Tune into our videos found at our website. www.ceramicgrillworks.com for further info.

Regardless either product will be a great asset to your egg.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com

All of the products you are talking about are great products. Yes, even the platesetter. I'm sure there is more versatility with the AR over the platesetter, but it will do the job for you. I have a platesetter and it has served me just fine. No regrets. With that said, since I already have a plate setter, I'll be going for the swing rack.

My point, don't be disappointed that someone bought you a platesetter. It is a great piece of equipment that does the job. Learn the basics before going crazy with accessories.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited December 2012

Newb, am far away from my dear egg, but allow me to throw my .02$ into the foray.

Have the PS and the PSwoo3, and the swing grate. Do not have AR.

Now, for the most part, if I cook indirect, its with PS legs up, and grate either raised or not.

For indirect raised, I throw the PS into the woo and then the BGE SS grate over it and am @ felt level. Wanna change?,  just lift it all out by the handle and go direct in a heartbeat.

Also, the PSwoo3 accommodates a 16" wok super nicely. Wok all you want and when done cooking, lift by handles and bring to table. Sweet!

Also, the upper level of swing grate fits the spider of the PSwoo3 for a LOW down sear jobby.

Swing grate is great stuff, but rusts like a SOB and needs upkeep and attention more than a hot stripper on a Friday night. I had issues and was offered a refund but chose to keep it. Its good stuff! When you got company commin' and drinkin' goin', load it up and let it fly. Two levels of it goes really well and you will be so happy when you pull and load plates up. That's why I would not give it up.

Have I covered it all? Got Qs, ask away. again, as all above have said, its what you want to do and are comfy with. Down the road you will get your way with it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have the woo3 and the Two Tier Swingrack both and of course a platesetter.  They are all wonderful and I like the simplicity.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I have the swing rack, fits my style of cooking. I have had my swing rack for a year plus, no rust on mine. I don't do much upkeep. All I do is oil it every few cooks and mine is really non stick at this point.  

I'm sure you will have fun and enjoy your egg no matter which item you get.

• NEWB, let me help with a few things.  The platesetter works with either PSWoo.  It's a simple way to raise the 18" stock grid near the felt line for grilling higher.  Or, use the PSwoo and platesetter together to smoke indirect with the 18 grid near the felt line.  As soon as we get the rig extender and new sliding grid into the market, we'll look at making something similar for the PSWoos and other Woos.

tom
    I want that new sliding grid for the extender. Will it fit the old style extender?
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

For what it's worth from a relative newbie, I bought the pswoo3 about a month ago since I already have a plate setter, which I bought with the Egg. I really like it. It gives me raised direct and indirect, and simplifies working with the plate setter. I'm also getting a 13" CI grid for Christmas, which will allow me to sear steaks and more on the lower spider part. Also, if my plate setter ever breaks, I should be able to put a stone on the bottom for indirect. I also like the fact that I can lift the whole contraption out by the handles or can easily spin the setter and grid while cooking. I purchased a cheap but effective extender on eBay, and now think that I can handle almost any cook now. 

All that said, knowing what I know today, I would have held off on the setter and bought the AR to begin with. So, others have given great advice on taking it slow on accessories. Also, knowing myself, I'm sure I'll own both an AR and a 2-tier Swing Rack at some point in time anyway.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2012
    I like the swing rack for the needs on my large but have a woo for my small. Here is one of my favorite pictures from using the swing rack on my large with the platesetter in. Both are good in different ways I think I have the best of both for my two eggs. 

And the bottom rack at stock level is great for searing! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    You can cut the legs off the platesetter and use in the ar. Not saying you want to but that is what I use
    @Little Steven
    I've been wondering if this would work?!  What did you cut the legs with?  

Thanks
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM