Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Briskets on XL?

How many packer trimmed briskets will fit on an XL grill?  One or two?

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2012
    I've done two 12 lb on the stock grid. Might be able to go a little larger but don't think much more on one grid unless you get creative and tilt them on something like an inverted V rack.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you can get two packers on two levels.  best to set them with point at opposite ends.  see pic.  I rotate them depending on how the lump is burning, prefer not to have them directly over hot spots. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    tjv said:
    I rotate them depending on how the lump is burning, prefer not to have them directly over hot spots.
    Are you cooking direct or indirect? The platesetter will eliminate most issues related to hot spots.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    DonWW said:
    tjv said:
    I rotate them depending on how the lump is burning, prefer not to have them directly over hot spots.
    Are you cooking direct or indirect? The platesetter will eliminate most issues related to hot spots.

I am cooking indirect.  Depending on how/where the lump burns, hot spots can occur, especially at the back of the egg.  The grid surface is 24 wide.  At best, brisket is 12 wide, so it's generally easy to rotate the brisket ends away from the hot spots.

t    

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If you have a 2nd grid, you can definitely cook 2 large packers.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I've done 2 packers & 2 butts on 2 tiers no problem: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My XL adjustable rig/woo combo is sitting under the tree so I will have to get back to you. I have been using my large adjustable rig in my XL though and am pretty sure I could get 3 in there. My XL is the new version fire ring with the slots in it for the plate setter to fit down into and those couple inches help with space.
  • I could Cook two with with my extender, I like to keep it simple. With one Ican count on a consistant outcome,
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2012
    Two 16 lbs packer on a Large, with just fire bricks and an old v-rack...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!