Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives?

One accessory I am lacking is a good knife or set of knives for cutting/preparing meat and slicing veggies. Can someone point me in the right direction where I can find some good knives?

Thanks.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Read some of the knife threads on this site.  Lots of recommendations. 

http://williamsknife.com/

Definitely a work of art.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I just got my first Shun, and I am impressed with it.  I don't know about durability yet as I've only had it a few weeks.  Don't pay full price for one though.  You can usually find them on sale, sometimes as much as 50% off if you are patient.

My only other experience with knives is Henckels.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First comment. Most knife sets have at least a few blades you will use infrequently. Why spend money on something that will sit in the knife block for 10 years at a time? Concentrate on knives that you will use a lot.

Then, do some window shopping.

chefsknivestogo.com does have a wonderful selection, and great customer service. There are other sites that also have very very fine knives, but are pricey.
    Check ou some knife specific forumst, too. I lurk here, and have read thru this site trying to understand what makes a good knife.

Reading thru the above kind of pushes you off into the deep end, but at least give them a look. You will get good information on what makes a fine knife.

Survey what is out there. You will find some good knives that are very affordable. Maybe buy something like a Victorinox Forschner, or a Kai Wasabi that doesn't cost much at all, but has good performance. Get a feel for what handling decent knife is like, and how well they hold an edge.

I have a few knives from respected makers that I rarely use. The steel is good. They feel nice in my hand. But I just don't like them.

Part of the problem is that the quality of the knife is only part of the equation. I never used a German style knife, and when I tried one, a Henckel's Twin, I could not cut well. And, when I tried a good Shun santuko, I found it lame (well, probably me just lame.) I have an O.K. Chinese cleaver. There are people who can use them for delicate tasks for which many people would us a paring knife. I only use it for shredding cabbages.

Shop around, and expect to keep shopping unless you are quite fortunate.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012

I bought these two from http://www.chefknivestogo.com.
    They are the only two knives I use now.  Really like them.
    Just make sure you wash and dry them shortly after you use them.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited December 2012
    Holy moly, they look like machetes. Looks like I have a lot of research to do. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone know where I can go put my hands on some knives the the Dallas area?
  • FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered the 210mm. I'm sick of all you people talking about them.

Thanks, love you. Mean it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered the 210mm. I'm sick of all you people talking about them. Thanks, love you. Mean it.
    There's still time, add the 120mm to the order!!!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dammit Travis.  Now I caught the disease, thanks to you.  Great.
    The knife gods have answered our prayers!!!  (sarcasm face) 

http://home.woot.com/offers/rachael-ray-3-piece-knife-set-4

Free bottle of EVOO with every order!!!!  (OMG! OMG!)

(Don't mean to insult anyone, but I'd rather listen to claws raking across a chalkboard before I watch Rachael Ray cooking....)
    edited December 2012

@travisstrick,

Get some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  20-30min over the sink and it will look like this.

Keep a towel close by and wipe after use.  It will flash rust almost instantly.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Will do. It looks much better without the black stuff.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

And it will cut better, less drag and the food won't stick as much.  You're gonna love this knife, great price too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."