Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip & Twice Baked potatoes

Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
edited December 2012 in Beef

Been away from my egg for the last 5 weeks and couldn't wait to cook a steak! 1 1/4 pound NY Strip. Two petite bacon wrapped tenderloins One small ribeye NO Olive oil. Cracked black pepper and salt. Cooked them indirect with mesquite chunks at 275 til the strip was 115 degrees. About 20 minutes. After I took the steaks off, I removed the plate setter and fire ring and brought the temp up to 700. About 2 1/2 minutes a side gave me a good medium-rare. For the potatoes Baked them til done then scooped them out. Mashed them with butter, half and half, sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon and filled the hollowed out shells with the potatoes. Put them on with the steaks for the indirect cook to get some smoke on them. So, 20 minutes indirect at 275. Took them off and finished in the oven at 350 while the steaks cooked. Will definitely cook these again. They had a good smoky flavor. The beer on the left is a Lowenbrau Triumphator. A vary good dark beer with 7.6% alcohol. The beer on the right is a Konig Ludwig Dunkel. Another good dark beer. Lots of sparks for the first time with the B & B charcoalimageimageimageimage

Comments

• The steaks look great! It also looks like you had quite a light show, what kind of lump were you burning?
  • That is a great looking meal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Just for clarification, you also took out the fire ring to sear the steaks? Seems like a great way to get some serious sear on the steaks. I also like the idea of indirect followed by searing. SWMBO likes her meat ruined (well done) and I always have trouble timing that with a properly done med. rare. This approach seems like a great way.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • B & B oak charcoal. It's never sparked like this bag does.

Yes and I sit the grill on the fire box. I think some may even sit the steak straight onto the coals.