Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ever cook - Ribs

Hi All,

Thanks to some temperature control help from a few members, today I did my first ever cook on my new LBGE.

Costco ribs, DP Dizzy Dust and DP Swamp Venom rubs, finished with Bone Sucking Sauce, cooked to Dr. BBQ's recipe.

Absolutely fantastic, and better than I ever expected - especially for a first cook. Here's some pics...

Up tomorrow a couple of USDA Prime Strip Loins...

-- Josh

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Those ribs look perfect - good job.  You're now officially an "egghead".
    That is a great looking first cook! Did you happen to use any wood? I tend to use cherry, apple or pecan on my ribs.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA

• tulocay said:
    That is a great looking first cook! Did you happen to use any wood? I tend to use cherry, apple or pecan on my ribs.
    Yes I used a few Hickory chunks. The level of smoke was right on.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    If you're not experienced with smoking you should try different woods until you find your favorites. I really like apple wood for pork. You will begin to notice subtle differences as you do more smokes.
    Opelika, AL
  • Will do. Thought I'd start with hickory and experiment from there. For my first ever smoke I was quite pleased. I'm still unsure if chips or chunks are the way to go, but I'm looking forward to the experiments! Josh
  • nolaegghead
    chips, chunks, pellets, sawdust - they all work for smoke.  No need to soak. 
  • Yes I read that. Used chunks and didn't soak. Was worried about over smoking though. As I went through the process though... I did wonder what difference, if any, it made closing the top vent vs the bottom. I kept them pretty much equal to get the desired temp, but am curious if other members leave one or the other more open/closed depending on the situation. Josh
  • nolaegghead
    Air goes in the vent on the bottom and effluent out the daisy wheel on the top.  You only need one or the other to control the temp.  They'll both influence each other and if you have gusty wind, if they're both about where the other would be if it were controlling the temp, you get a little more stability.  That said, for low and slows, you can leave the daisy wheel open on the ovals and use the damper to regulate.  Or vice versa.  Just try one or the other, make gross adjustments to the other if you can't hit your setpoint.

Great job on the ribs-

With regard to temperature control, the BGE is air-flow controlled (as long as there is fuel).  Doesn't matter the quantity of lump in the BGE, the air-flow determines the cook temperature (low temp= low flow=small fire etc).  So between the bottom vent and DFMT you set the intake and exhaust.  Some will run at higher cook temps (350*F+) with the DFMT completely off-others bottom wide-open and control with the  DFMT.  Bottom line-work with the BGE and get comfortable with controlling temps using any combination of both.  I use the lower vent for bigger adjustments-DFMT for smaller.

Wherever you land-don't get caught up in chasing temperatures, especially on low&slows.  The response time (feedback) for any adjustments is measured on the dome thermo and it can take a while to stablilze.  Enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Congrats on your first cook/ first ribs on the Egg!! They look great. You have lots more amazing cooks in your future.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Congrats!  Very nice looking first cook!  You are officially an Egghead!  :D
  • Yes I read that. Used chunks and didn't soak. Was worried about over smoking though. As I went through the process though... I did wonder what difference, if any, it made closing the top vent vs the bottom. I kept them pretty much equal to get the desired temp, but am curious if other members leave one or the other more open/closed depending on the situation. Josh

Where are you in the big Smoke?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Congrats! they look very tasty.

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking first cook!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA

Where are you in the big Smoke?

High Park / Roncesvalles area.
  • Very nice ribs. Thanks for sharing. I like apple and cherry wood a s well for pork.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Parkdale?, High Park? I'm in Caledon near Orangeville

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Great job on the ribs. My first cook was ribs as well and they were great. The confidence boost was key.
    lousubcap said:

Great job on the ribs-

With regard to temperature control, the BGE is air-flow controlled (as long as there is fuel).  Doesn't matter the quantity of lump in the BGE, the air-flow determines the cook temperature (low temp= low flow=small fire etc).  So between the bottom vent and DFMT you set the intake and exhaust.  Some will run at higher cook temps (350*F+) with the DFMT completely off-others bottom wide-open and control with the  DFMT.  Bottom line-work with the BGE and get comfortable with controlling temps using any combination of both.  I use the lower vent for bigger adjustments-DFMT for smaller.

Wherever you land-don't get caught up in chasing temperatures, especially on low&slows.  The response time (feedback) for any adjustments is measured on the dome thermo and it can take a while to stablilze.  Enjoy the journey!

Also, I completely agree with Lou about temp control. Chasing temps will drive you crazy and isn't necessary. One of the most awesome BGE attributes is its forgiveness: 10-20 degrees usually isn't outcome determinative.

Again, great first cook. Keep on plugging and use the forum to learn more- especially from the vets. They're a great resource and have taught me a bunch (except @travisstrick, he's turrible :p ).
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL