Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need assistance

Two pork butts been on for about 8 hours temp at 180 running dome at 290 and temp dropping. Out of coals. Would it be good to pull at temp of 180? What should I do?
Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!

Comments

• Let them be until the egg temp runs below 250 then take them out and refill with lump. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    The meat will not pull at 180. Have you tried to poke something up through the holes in the fire grate? It's possible ash is blocking them. Add lump if that doesn't fix it.

Either way, I would cook them to about 200 internal.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're on a timetable, foil it and throw it in the oven.  If you do end up adding more lump, make sure you start getting good smoke - may take a while - before throwing it back on.
    I've had to add lump before...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Center of coals burnt. Have a little bit of coals left on edges pushed to center and hoping for the best butts at 186 dome still dropping grate steady at 265. Would at least like to hit 190-195 before pulling. That's what I had my last one at. Using royal oak with fire ring full had cherry and apple chunks mixed in lit around 11am now 7:30 pm no coals left, is this normal? 2 butts at about 7 pounds each how long should it take? Thanks for the advice.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't know how much lump you added to start, so can't say if it's normal or not.  On low and slows, I fill it up to the top of the fire ring.
    I would guess that's a 10 to 12 hour cook at that grate temp.

You never waste charcoal so go ahead and load it to the top for low and slow cooks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Running 290*F on the dome will consume lump at a faster rate than lower temps so given you were loaded to the top of the box and not up into the fire ring sounds like nothing unusual with the consumption.  If you are pressed for time, since you are clear of the stall you could slice the butts and they would taste just fine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Had opened open both vents, pushed remaining coal off of sides, and let burn out. Was thinking about foiling and stuff in oven for that last 10-20 degrees. By the time the grid was about 220 butt was at 190. Went to foil and butt just fell apart. Checked temp in other spots and was average temp of 194. Pulled nice tasted great, nice and moist. Meat was just darker then I like. Thanks for all of the great advice.