Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some guidance.. Mini vs Small

I currently own an XL BGE which I love. I've been considering getting a smaller egg for smaller cooks, and for portability for camping trips and tailgating. (The trips and tailgating would be rare occasions)

I'd like to fire up the smaller egg for cooks like a couple of steaks of chicken breasts or dogs, instead of the big daddy.

I currently have an opportunity to get a mini at a reasonable price, but the problem is, I've never considered a mini, only a small.

I'm looking for some input on which one i should get, from those that own them. Are you mini owners happy, or do you wish you had gone with a small?

Thanks as always fellas.

Jason

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm sure Mickey will weigh in with praise for the mini, but I want to say that I'm really happy with it. I think it boils down to how many servings you will be cooking. Two or three? The mini is fantastic for a game hen, five thighs, several skewers of shrimp, enough steak to feed two men and a woman. It comes up to temp really quick with a HiQue grate (an essential in my book), and you can stabilize easily. It's small size lets you position it near your back door on a small footprint, meaning you don't have to troop outside much on a blustery night. 

But if you normally cook for more than two people, you might want to go with the small. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    I got a large about 1.5yrs ago and had been looking for a used mini or small for about a year.  I ended up crossing paths with a small and couldn't be happier with it.  I think the only reason I would rather have the mini would be that it is even more portable than the small, even though I did take the small to my brothers for Thanksgiving and it moved traveled really well. 

I find right now with the exception of wok cooking or pizza making, I am using my small more than my large.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • jlsm
    Also, someone just posted a long and slow on the mini with a small butt. Pretty impressive.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

First Egg I bought was a Small. Ending up selling it as just not used between Large and Mini. Just bought a second Mini to go with the Large and Mini.

Having the two Minis just work for me for 80 %+ of my cooks are on the Mini with the Large picking up the slack.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Got to go with what works for you.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jason, I recently went through the same dilemma.  I am very active in camping.  For that reason I went with the mini.  I find myself cooking on it more and more.  My new wok for the mini should be here any day. 
    Here is my advice.  If you plan more stationary, the small.  It heats up quickly and if you need to move it, it's not that bad.
    If you camp or tailgate, the mini.  I keep my mine in a cooler with my charcoal and chips and tools.
    The size difference may not seem like much by picking them up. (around 30lbs)  Keeping it stable outside of putting it in the seat in a seat belt might be a little tricky. You don't have the same toys available for the mini but, I like to improvise. 
    Have Fun!
  • I got a small I love cooking on. My large gets the most work at home, but the small is a great tool! Cooking while away from home using the small is a delight.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I went through same thing, I chose to go with small and I used it while camping over Thanksgiving week. I cooked two 12 lb turkeys (independtly of each other) and couldnt be happier.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited November 2012
    I have two larges a small and picked up a mini last January.  With just my wive and I the larges have become  the smoking and baking eggs and the small and mini have become the grillers.  Just the other night I grilled ribeyes for the two of us, so I fired up the mini and the small.  I opened the vents on the mini and let it run wild for the searing and had the small stabilized at 400* with the woo installed to finish them off.  I know you don't need two grills for that cook, but hey, they're eggs and they're fun!

I think you could make an argument for almost any combination that could be dreamed up.  It just depends on your individual needs, cooking style and number of people you cook for.  As to the original small/mini question they both have their strong points.  I find the mini heats up much quicker and is easier to get up to lava like searing temps.  The small, though only slightly bigger does offer a surprising amount of additional real estate for spatchcock, pork butts, large T-bones etc.  I love it in the summer when I have them all chugging away for some outdoor entertaining!

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Can't offer any advice on the small as we don't have one and have never cooked on one. The mini has become our work horse since getting it. Its seeing more action than the large, but most cooks are just for the Mrs and me. This past week we did 12 back to back personal pizzas on it without reloading. Can fit 6 chicken legs side by side. We love it and glad we got it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just called a local dealer and there isn't much price difference between the mini, small and medium.  I really want a small or mini...I'm gonna see if I can pick one up in Salado.
  • Having a platesetter available for the small gives it another function over the Mini, a little more room as well. Like all Eggs, once you have one or another you will make due with what you have at hand. Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jlsm
    A mini woo with an 8-inch pizza stone serves as a placesetter for the mini. I've done many indirects with it. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a small / large combo, the mini was too mini for me. I got a eggCarten and it is pretty easy to take to a friends house or camping. I did a 9 lb turkey on my small a few weeks ago. I also use it for a mobile pizza party and have a 12" pizza stone to make pizzas. You would probably be happy with either one, the small just seemed a better fit for me. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    I have a large, small and a mini. Most all of our cooking (2 of us) is done on the mini and the small. The large is for baking or family get togethers.
    I like the mini because I can carry it, the small is just beyond my lifting capabilities. The mini always travels in the CARTen (pictured above).
    IMHO you can't go wrong with either and if you can lift 60 pounds without a problem then go for the small. BTW there is a CARTen for the small also.
    The real plus for the mini is that it heats up and cools down quicker than the small.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Same as @Austin, I have a large, small and mini.  I think the mini works a little better for grilling, but the small is probably a little more versatile.  That little extra real estate means that it can better accommodate  baking dishes and dutch ovens.  Our oven has been broken for two weeks, so all three BGEs got a good workout on Thanksgiving!
    Mamaroneck
  • Mickey