Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Maxx Turkey question

Hey everyone,

This upcoming Christmas will be my first Christmas with the egg, and I've been looking through various methods etc.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to go ahead and try out the Mad Max recepie on the naked Whiz (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm).  I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a couple things.

1.  I don't brine.  Ever.  Never have - and probably never will, unless of course somebody can explain to me why it seems to be ever-so popular...
2.  Dressing; it seems that the traditional (to me anyways) bread, celery, onion etc. dressing simply isn't used by many on here.  Anybody have a guess as to how it'll turn out in the egg?  For some reason, I'm picturing it getting quite dry....
3.  Timing.  Roughly how many min/pound am I looking at here?

Thanks fellow eggheads!
[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• I did one for Thanksgiving, 18 pounder, followed recipe to the letter and it turned out great.  Only thing I would consider different in the future is leaving the herbs out of the butter mixture, As stated in the recipe it does kind of make a mess, I am sure it adds flavor but next time I will try without.  I did not brine, simply didnt have the time.   I find it easier to just to the dressing in the oven.  I put this guy on at 11:30 and it was done around the time the first game was ending so roughly 4.5 hours, which was a little sooner than I expected but temps all checked out.

As for doing on the EGG, I dont think Ill ever go back, kept me out of the house and away from the crowd, and was a beautiful fall day here in the Mid Atlantic.

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I used this recipe Thanksgiving and my turkey was perfect at 12 min. per. lb.  Make sure you ice the breasts as he outlines.
  • I used the MadMaxx method too, and it turned out well. He clearly states that he does not brine his turkey. I didn't brine either, because I don't have an easy way to ensure the turkey stays at proper temps (small fridge).

I did rinse the turkey the day before, and left it uncovered in the fridge. That dried out the skin enough that the butter paste stuck well to the turkey.

For a 15 lb bird, estimating 12 minutes per lb (cooking on an XLg, so I think they generate more heat) was exactly right. Put the bird on at 12:15, done by 3 pm, according to the Thermapen. When de-boning the bird after the meal, my MIL noted it was still a little pink on the interior, so we probably could have cooked it another 15 minutes or so. But it was great as-is.
  • Did the Mad Max turkey for the 2nd time this Thanksgiving. I did not brine as I simply don't have the room for it in the fridge. Yes, I'm aware of brining bags, and using a cooler....but I was feeling lazy! I love brining other things like chickens and pork.....just didn't wanna do it on the big bird.

Anyhow, the turkey turned out fantastic! I did rinse it out the night before, and let it dry in the fridge overnight.

Did not do a dressing in the bird, but did a mussel stuffing in the oven. I used herbs, lemons, an apple, and some garlic in the bird.

I wanna say it was just about 12 min/lb for my 18lb bird.