Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wicked good charcoal

Options
Today in my inbox I received an ace hardware 20% off all regular price items, valid only this Friday before 10am.  From the description it appears it will work on charcoal.  I was thinking about picking up several bags of the wicked good charcoal since they can ship those to ace locations.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    There are a ton of threads on this if you do a search. I love it for long cooks. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    I ordered some off of the Ace Hardware website last night before I saw this thread. I did a search and found:

Will Google it before I order next time and will order more this week.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

My favorite lump.   Have not tried Ozark, but have heard good things about it.   Right now, Wicked Good is top of the list.

Cookin in Texas
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    love W G ---good stuff
  • duchunter
    Options

This also my favorite coal as well!!!

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    hapster said:
    Do it... But order at least 4 bags to make it worthwhile to go get it. Great lump.
    Agreed.  It's the best, longest lasting lump that I've had yet (haven't found Ozark yet).  However, be ready for it to take a little longer to light.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • ugafan
    Options
    WG is my favorite too!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited November 2012
    Options

I believe that coupon is for in store purchases only. You may have a tough time using it when ordering online and I doubt the charcoal will get there by Friday. Look around for a coupon that can be used on line.

My bad I just read the small print, looks like you may be good.

• CabooseGrill
    Options
    It worked online.  I ordered 4 bags with free delivery to local store.
  • xraypat23
    Options
    great stuff! Talk to the manager of your local ace, mine stocks it now, sells better than "cowboy"

• yumdinger
    Options
    I bought 2 bags, free shipping sent to my local Ace.  Arrived in 4 days.  First time trying WIcked good looking forward to it.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I just picked up my 5 bags...I will never do this again because my local Ace dealer made zero profit on my order.  Yet, he had to unload and put the 5 bags somewhere.
    I have to say that I love a good deal but, not at the expense of local dealers.
    My 2 cents (roughly  1.6 yen) 
    (We better get used to converting to some other currency soon)
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • calracefan
    Options

Logger ,

Next time let him order it for you and he gets the profit,our local store done this for me and it was actually a dollar a bag cheaper !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks calracefan

Will do that next time.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Perhaps you should suggest he carry it? I am from Minnesota and I am unaware of any one that carries wicked good. I came across this coupon at 9 pm at night while reading this forum. Pretty hard not to take advantage of it.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    At $11.89 a bag I'm not sure there is any way the store would make any profit selling it at that price. But what it does mean is that I will go in to collect it and probably browse around the store and end up buying something else in there anyway. And without the coupon I would probably not have even gone in there.
    Lynnwood WA
  • lowlightbw
    Options
    I have used BGE, Red Oak, publix greenwise, cowboy, Kamado joe, and several others and so far none of them compare to WG. BGE was good but expensive, Kamado Joe sparked and flamed more than any other charcoal I have used. WG has huge dense pieces, maintains temps for long cooks, and is 10 dollars cheaper than BGE retail. So far nothing beats it.
  • Stargaze
    Options
    I got 3 bags recently and im very happy! Just cooked a pork shoulder I got real nice temps all night long.
  • bjadams
    Options
    Hey thanks for the heads up on this. I'm not a fan of Walmart but have been buying Red Oak there after several bad Cowboy experiences. I just bought two bags of Wicked Good and had them delivered to my local Ace. I'll see if the store will order them for me in the future.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2012
    Options
      I will probably get bashed here , but I am going to play the devils advocate. I don't see Wicked Good WW as the holy grail of charcoal as most others seem to.

I bought 3 bags awhile back @ 20% off , 2 bags after thanksgiving @ 20% off as well as 1 bag at 50% off.

Here is my take on this.
     An 8.8 lb. bag of royal oak will pretty much fill my xl. This load will easily cook 24 hrs with coal left over.

It will take about 3/4 of the 22 lb. bag of WW to fill to the same level . It will burn longer , but not that much.

As well as I can tell 1 - 22Lb bag of WW might last a little longer than 2 - 8.8 lb. bags of RO.

If getting enough coal in your egg to last through a long cook is an issue the WW would have an edge , but this is not an issue with my XL.

WW produces less ash than RO , but again this is not an issue with my XL.

RO produces a more hearty hardwoods type smoke that I tend to like vs WW.

RO lights faster , comes to temperature quicker , and sparks much more when light with a map torch.

The biggest pieces of WW are way bigger than the biggest pieces of RO. Of the 2 bags of WW i've used there were 5-6 huge pieces , a small amount of medium pieces , and lots of small stuff. While I really liked the large pieces I disliked the amount of small pieces more than I liked the # of huge pieces. Just really not enough medium size stuff to my liking.

The WW bag is nice.

So while I think WW is good coal , and will continue using it for low and slows if I can buy it for $17 or less.  For grilling , and high heat cooks as well as cooks 4hrs or less I prefer RO.