Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-UDS (ugly drum smoker)

Im making a UDS as an xmas gift for a friend and I wanted to add the control of a daisy wheel to the top vent just like an egg. If anyone has mulitple eggs can you please let me know the inside opening demensions of the small and mini daisy wheels so i can order accordingly

thanks for the help

Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just to clarify- are you only going to order the top of the daisy wheel, not the actual cast iron "cap"? On the small, the top sliding circle is right at 3 1/4 inches.  It looks like the hole that it covers is about 2 3/4 inches. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If it is going to have a stack why not use the cap. I see them on cl all the time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    just the iron cap it will have a stack
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Is this the measurement you're looking for?

Small - mine measures about 2 5/8" in diameter

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Mini - mine measures about 2 3/16" in diameter

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • McStew

almost R2 ....flip it over ....bottom side inside edge to inside edge

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited November 2012
    Ok, inside edge to edge here are the measurements on my DMFTs. Since the DMFT tapers slightly I'm giving you both widest & narrowest points.
    Small
    -widest point = 4 3/8"
    -narrowest point (closest to daisy end) = 4"

Mini
    -widest point = 3 7/16"
    -narrowest point (closest to daisy end) = 3 1/8"

One thing to point out about the Mini DMFT (at least mine does) is it has these little 4 ridges or "fins" on the inside and I measured distances between them:
    Good luck with your UDS project. Yours is sounding pretty fancy compared to mine (I just used an old Weber kettle lid I got on CL) and I leave the spinner wide open & control airflow through a combination of 2 pipe nipples & a ball valve at the base.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • McStew
    Thanks R2 looks like this might work....I will post some pics once im finished
    Hermosa Beach CA