Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Smoked Turkey For Me!

Options
I did a practice turkey on my BGE that came out pretty darned good. However, the Mrs. said that it was a little dry. Really? It was wonderful. Then, it occurred to me that the reason she didn't like it was not because it was dry, but rather because she wants to cook a traditional turkey for Thanksgiving. She loves everything else off the Egg, but turkey. She didn't even want me to practice cook another one. I figured it out.

So, standard Butterball in a Reynolds bag for the extended family. Mmmm. Wink. 

Anyone else have this problem?
Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
Northern CA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Do two. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flachick
    Options
    For this exact reason, we're roasting two 10 lb. turkeys. One traditional with stuffing in the oven.  The other, spatchcocked on the Egg. Different, delicious leftovers for everyone.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012
    Options

Tastes better cooked in the egg, so we do it in the egg.  Simple as that.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggbertsdad
    Options

Tastes better cooked in the egg, so we do it in the egg.  Simple as that.
    I agree. Plus, it frees up the oven for whatever the wife is cooking.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Interesting, this month's Cook's Illustrated had an article about cooking the TG bird on a grill to free up the oven, and how to avoid the smoke flavor (guess its a common thing!)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Botch said:
    Interesting, this month's Cook's Illustrated had an article about cooking the TG bird on a grill to free up the oven, and how to avoid the smoke flavor (guess its a common thing!)  
    Yeah, I know a lot of people (mainly females for some reason) that don't like a lot or any smoke.  If you get a "clean" fire going and don't add any smoke wood, you won't taste any smoke at all on your food.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I love smoked turkey. But for thanksgiving I like roasting it in the oven. I like to smell that turkey cooking while I,m watching football, etc... It is good to mix it up a bit IMHO.
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    I don't want to step on my wife's toes by taking over or even supplementing her traditional 40+ year job of doing the turkey. That's the real problem, not that the practice BGE turkey was really dry. It occurred to me that she doesn't want to be replaced. Who does? She didn't come right out and say that, but that's what I realized was going on. Yes, it's a personal issue and may not affect others the same way.

The guys will watch football while the ladies are in the kitchen and the kids and dogs are running around. 

Happy T-day to all!
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i do two because my sister doesnt like smoked bird, then she eats off the smoked one anyways. well  i like the stuffing done in an oven bird but im not telling her that.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I don't want to step on my wife's toes by taking over or even supplementing her traditional 40+ year job of doing the turkey. That's the real problem, not that the practice BGE turkey was really dry. It occurred to me that she doesn't want to be replaced. Who does? She didn't come right out and say that, but that's what I realized was going on. Yes, it's a personal issue and may not affect others the same way.

The guys will watch football while the ladies are in the kitchen and the kids and dogs are running around. 

Happy T-day to all!
    I think it is great that you understand your wife so well and will step aside to watch football and drink.  Seriously though - good on you for listening to the unspoken work.  Happy wife - Happy Life   ^:)^

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Budgeezer
    Options

I think it is great that you understand your wife so well and will step aside to watch football and drink.  Seriously though - good on you for listening to the unspoken work.  Happy wife - Happy Life   ^:)^

I recently mad the same mistake about Lasagna, lesson learned do not step on the wife toes and her recipes.

Edina, MN