Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Eggshelves-One Solution

When I posted my question about cleaning charcoal dust stains off of my Eggsshelves, several folks asked me to report on what worked for me. So as requested I'm back with what worked for me. Several folks suggested Bar Keeper's Friend and I had heard good things about it before this, so this morning I picked up a can of the powdered version.

As you can see from the pictures below it did the trick nicely. At first I didn't think it was going to work, but when I swirled it around with the "abrasive" side of the Scotchbrite sponge the stain came right up. It cleaned any and all stains on the shelf. 

The first thing I tried was Bar Keeper's Friend in powder form together with Scotchbrite sponges.

Here is the Eggshelf with several charcoal dust stains that wouldn't lift with anything I'd tried to date.

I wet the shelf down, sprinkled the powder on the stained area, waited a minute and then wiped it down with the Scotchbrite sponge. Until I used the abrasive side and a swirling motion it didn't appear like it was going to work.

Once I used a swirling motion with the abrasive side of the sponge all stains came up. Any dark marks you see in this picture are the shadows of distance trees in my woods.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions, I plan to try out some of the other products as well. But for now I have a winner.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Sweet! Where did you find that stuff? I have a few persistent spots on my grill gazebo's side tables that won't clean up. That looks like it will do the trick.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I found it at my local stupid market. But use this link to find retailers near you.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Bon Ami works basically the same and might be easier to find.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    Dyal_SC said:

Sweet! Where did you find that stuff? I have a few persistent spots on my grill gazebo's side tables that won't clean up. That looks like it will do the trick.

Bar keeper's friend is sold in most supermarkets and is pretty cheap (2-3 bucks). I have seen it at Piggly Wiggly(assuming you live down in SC based on your name) as well as Target and Wally World.

If you have trouble finding it, any product with oxalic acid as it's ingredient is an equivalent.
  • jfm0830
    There is a state by state store locator  for Bar Keeper's Friend on their website. It is available at my regular supermarket and a lot of places I shop at. I saw Bon Ami there too.

I don't know if they make Tang any more, but we used to run a load of Tang in our first dishwasher ever 3-4 month to get rid of hard water stains. Tang also has oxalic acid in it and smells nice too. Not suggesting this, just reminiscing a bit, but nothing but oxalic acid seemed to touch those hard water stains.
  • A simple SOS pad and hot water has worked as well for me

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Thanks for reporting back.  I've never used Bar Keepers Friend before.  Your last post I mentioned I hadn't spilled charcoal dust on my "wings", but that happened tonight.  Looks like I'll need to get some.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jfm0830
    LOL. The BBQ Gods have spoken. Up to about 2 years ago I said I'd never own an Egg. Now I'm planning the purchase of number 2 of ??. The BBQ gods are screwing with me too.
  • I had the same problem with my shelves and tried your solution today. It worked perfectly! Thanks for posting your results. The shelves look like new now.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Thx a lot. I found it at Food Lion. Didn't get all of my stains out, but its better than before. My side tables are a different material than your egg's wings, so that may be the difference. Still better now though.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thanks for reporting back.  I've never used Bar Keepers Friend before.  Your last post I mentioned I hadn't spilled charcoal dust on my "wings", but that happened tonight.  Looks like I'll need to get some.
    It's awesome on SS pots and pans. Makes them nice and shiny. With some elbow grease, it will remove the polymerized oil on the bottom of the pans as well.
  • I dropped a hot chunk of lump on one of my wooden shelves last night and by the time I saw it it was on its way through. Think that stuff will fix that?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jfm0830
    I dropped a hot chunk of lump on one of my wooden shelves last night and by the time I saw it it was on its way through. Think that stuff will fix that?
    Sadly I'd say not a chance DAWG. Sounds like you got a burn not a stain.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I also use it to clean the glass on my coffee pot. Works excellent.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig