Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oval or Round Grid for Large Adjustable Rig?

Hi there,

Getting my Christmas list finalized and could use help in deciding which grid to go with as part of the Adjustable Rig Combo from the CeramicGrillStore.   I have a Large Egg that I am "accessorizing".    Pros/cons between the two grids?  

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments

• I'm interested in this for the same reason. I noticed they are upgrading the extended rack so I told Santa to hold off til December to see the upgrade.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I reccomend the oval grids on the slides with the rig extender. 

For ribs, the oval grid with the oval stone gives you the most indirect protection without obstructing any airflow. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Plus 1 on FriscoFrogFriscoFrog's post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Oval grids are interchangeable for sliding in and out. I frequently swap the top and bottom grid when doing multi-tier cooks so this was a no brainier for me. I cook a lot of large capacity chicken pieces which require a lot of turning for even cooking.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869

I reccomend the oval grids on the slides with the rig extender. 

For ribs, the oval grid with the oval stone gives you the most indirect protection without obstructing any airflow. 

+2  I just use the stock BGE round grid on top of the A.R. for doing pizza.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Oval it is...Thanks guys!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Oval it is...Thanks guys!
    Good choice.  Have oval...which works great for most applications. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I have the round, which is nice, but my Xmas list will have the oval grids and slide guides in addition to the new rack extender. I do prefer the round stone for indirect cooking because it can work with the spider and the oval stone can not. Good when you need to load the AR up with racks for multi level cooking.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW