Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table under deck roof?

I'd like to build a table and put it on my deck. Thing is I have aroof over it. About 6 feet clearance. Wondering if its safe. Thoughts?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sure as long as it's open.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have an overhang where I store my eggs, and when the weather is wet and ugly I use them underneath this overhang, it is about 8' high, no problems at all. Got for it. Maybe when you are first firing the egg up you may want to shove the egg to the edge of the overhang so the any wind will take the smoke away from the house, windows, or the open door. Is the table going to be on rollers? Good Luck 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I think it will be fine. I have mine sitting under my covered back porch which is only open on one side and I haven't had any issues. However, I do have a ceiling fan under there which helps circulate the air/smoke.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    I had some of the same worries when I had a grill gazebo built for my three grills. I was a bit concerned about using wood, but I have the same 6 foot clearance as you do and I've never seen sparks or embers get anywhere near that height. My grill gazebo has a ridge vent at the peak of the two sided roof, so there is little to no smoke buildup.

If it is a single sided shed roof there is always the possibility that smoke could collect at the peak where the shed roof hits the house wall. If the smoke has no place to go it will gradually collect in a downwards direction until it finds a place to vent. My EZ-Up used to have smoke collect under the roof. You'd see it rolling out from under the bottom of the roof. Screens can also keep the smoke from venting depending on how coarse or fine the mesh is. Long way of saying your mileage may vary. I'd say before you start building anything, put the Egg on the deck (with some protection underneath it to catch any embers) and do a few cooks to see how the smoke vents. You may be fine, you may have issues to deal with. Pick a humid or damp day for one of these trials, it makes any smoke easier to see.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll go for it. I do plan on wheels for the table. Thanks again.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I cook under a lean-to deck roof.  No problems.  I have ceiling mounted high velocity fan I can aim anywhere if smoke gets to be a problem.  I probably have about 5' clearance from the top of the egg.