Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever run a marathon?

So I ran XC and one year in college. Was never anything special, my best 5K times were high 19 min range and currently they are in the 24 min range. I still run 2-3 5Ks/year but i dont really run outside of those. I did my first 1/2 marathon last year on a whim (3 weeks and very little training) but finished a semi-respectable 1:51 time. I realized I enjoyed the longer run much more than the 5Ks, being able to relax instead of feeling like a long sprint. So I decided to sign up for a full marathon. It is March 9th. I've done 18 miles before, though it was several years ago. Just curious if anyone else has done one and what your experience was like.
Boom

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Hmmm...never heard that question asked on a bbq forum before.  Can't speak for everyone of course, but I think for the most of us, the only running we do is to the market to get more meat and beer.

Living Large and XL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd need a blood transfusion first to get rid of all the Kentucky bourbon and BBQ sauce flowing through my veins.

Yeah, I used to run them when I was younger.  I was on the track team in HS.
    I ran NYC marathon.  Great experience and I never trained much above 18 miles.  The last 6 miles or so were as grueling as anything I ever did, but I loved every minute of it.  Take the next day off, because your leggs will. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I've ran 10 marathons, last one 12 months ago. I'm hanging it up and trying to find a new hobby, as the training takes up to much time. But GO FOR IT! Have you done a 1/2 marathon? Do it first.. You'll do something you'll always be proud of yourself for. I strongly encourage you to look for local running group -"striders". They will have training runs which are a must, and it helps to have others motivate & run with. 6 Start training now, and get your weekly mileage UP- 30-40 miles per week with 5 runs a week with Saturday being a long run. Then in early January, you need training runs on alternating weekends, ramping up from 15 miles up to 21 miles.You need to commit to these minimums or quit now.. It will be the worst day of your life if your not properly conditioned for the distance. Hey, the good news: Eat whatever you want!  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• I road marched 22 miles with a 60 lb pack and wearing boots. Not fun.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I've done a couple and many 1/2s...what @Raymont says is pretty spot on. The training commitment for a full is too much for me with all the other things going on now.

Travis can you change your icon, for some reason I want to drink a White Russian everytime I read one of your postings.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My policy is to only run when being chased!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @travisstrick - Dude, VI called to say thanks.  He said he's got your rug.  Said it really ties the room together.
    I ran NYC marathon.  Great experience and I never trained much above 18 miles.  The last 6 miles or so were as grueling as anything I ever did, but I loved every minute of it.  Take the next day off, because your leggs will. 

that's awesome. If I survive this I would love to do a big time marathon. Either something urbane like the NYC or something exotic out of country.
    Boom

you're a better man than me. Appreciate people like you willing to do stuff people like me don't want to do, giving me that option. Thanks.
    Boom
  • Raymont said:
    I've ran 10 marathons, last one 12 months ago. I'm hanging it up and trying to find a new hobby, as the training takes up to much time. But GO FOR IT! Have you done a 1/2 marathon? Do it first.. You'll do something you'll always be proud of yourself for. I strongly encourage you to look for local running group -"striders". They will have training runs which are a must, and it helps to have others motivate & run with. 6 Start training now, and get your weekly mileage UP- 30-40 miles per week with 5 runs a week with Saturday being a long run. Then in early January, you need training runs on alternating weekends, ramping up from 15 miles up to 21 miles.You need to commit to these minimums or quit now.. It will be the worst day of your life if your not properly conditioned for the distance. Hey, the good news: Eat whatever you want!  

some serious mileage you put in! I did a half last year and found it pretty easy. I know the full is a diff game. The trainer at my gym is helping me with my schedule. It's at a gym at my job so it will have runs and workout and such. She has done few dozen triathlons and bunch of marathons, including Boston couple times I have a lot of work ahead but I'm looking forward to it. I really just want the 26.2 sticker for my jeep ha.
    Boom
  • lilwooty said:
    Hmmm...never heard that question asked on a bbq forum before.  Can't speak for everyone of course, but I think for the most of us, the only running we do is to the market to get more meat and beer.

a lot of off-topic questions get asked in the off-topic section.
    Boom
  • I did my first Marathon in 1972 in 2hrs 41min.   The first few times you run 15 - 18 miles you are not in shape for that distance.  If you run 5 or 6 times over 15 miles your body will adapt to the stress and the last 6 miles will be more  survivable.   Of course completing a 5 hour marathod requires less traing especially if you jog and walk the marathon. Jeff Galloway has a great book on running.

• I did my first Marathon in 1972 in 2hrs 41min.   The first few times you run 15 - 18 miles you are not in shape for that distance.  If you run 5 or 6 times over 15 miles your body will adapt to the stress and the last 6 miles will be more  survivable.   Of course completing a 5 hour marathod requires less traing especially if you jog and walk the marathon. Jeff Galloway has a great book on running.

dang that's fast! I've done longer runs before but it has been awhile. My realistic goal is sub- 4 hours. Based on my 5K and 1/2 marathon times I expect I'll be around 3:50-3:55. I doubled my 1/2 time and then added ~10 minutes but I know I won't ever be near sub 3. That's awesome.
    Boom
  • I did the 2005 Chicago Marathon. Literally went from couch to Marathon in 16 weeks on the day of my 40th birthday. Great experience. Planning something similar for my 50th in 3 years. Ran several 5, 10 & 15Ks for training. Ran two Half Marathons since and a few 5ks. Sticking to a training program and allocating the necessary time is key. If you do that, the day of the race will be enjoyable. Good Luck!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Raymont has a good plan-In my youth I would ratchet up the weekly long run by around 2 miles every other week with around 12 miles as the "off-week" run: ; 12 miles one week then 14 then back to 12 then 16 etc til I got to 20-22, about 2-3 weeks before the race.  Remember-the first half is the first 20 miles-all the training is for the last 6.22.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The young bull said lets run across that field and make love to one of those cows

The old bull said lets just stroll over there and make love to all of em
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Ran the Yuengling 1/2 several times and the Va. Beach Rock and Roll 1/2 don't have the time to put in to train for a full to busy egging
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • Before I ever run 26 miles, they had better done something to my mama and my truck is broke down!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Before I ever run 26 miles, they had better done something to my mama and my truck is broke down!

TECHNICALLY, it's 26.2 miles. Stop after 26 and no medal and no cool sticker >:)
    Boom
  • Ran the Yuengling 1/2 several times and the Va. Beach Rock and Roll 1/2 don't have the time to put in to train for a full to busy egging

how was the rock n roll? They have one in savannah I thought about bc I hear live music every mile or two on course. Is that true? And if so is it a help or hindrance?
    Boom
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Before I ever run 26 miles, they had better done something to my mama and my truck is broke down!

TECHNICALLY, it's 26.2 miles. Stop after 26 and no medal and no cool sticker >:)
    To be into the details it's 26 miles-385 yds-which works out 26 miles and.21875 more of those miles-good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Hell- I don't even like to drive 26 miles... Fat floats it doesn't run
    Greensboro, NC