Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuesday Turkey Time...

14 lb
overnight brine from Alton Brown
dried and wrapped in paper towels and put back in fridge for a few hours
Spatchcocked - empty drip pan, no water, no aromatics
Going at indirect 375 dome
went in at 4:45 hoping for a 7:15 dinner
EVOO and some poultry rub from Oakridge

Any thoughts? (temp, foil at a certain temp, flipping bird at some point, etc.)

pic of iced breasts while egg comes up to temp:

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Ice breasts are not needed on spatchcock (IMO).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ended up going 375 for 45 minutes and then lowering to 350.
    one hour and 15 minutes into the cook:
    155 leg (180 target)
    130 breast (165 target)
     I am 25 away for legs and 35 away for breasts.

Looks like Mickey may have been right. :)

Ice may not have been needed.

I will post again soon. Maybe the temps will hit together by the end of the cook.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Looks great!! I wasn't sure about rinsing after the brine when I did mine on Sunday (posted previously). I read in one place to rinse and I have experimented with brining shrimp and decided rinsing was better so I rinsed the turkey. Let us know how yours turns out and whether or not you rinsed the brine off.

Great job!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • rinsed brine and patted dry

Only one word will do...DUDE!

So freaking juicy. I feel like a fanboy...but these eggs man...CRAZY moist birds.

Pulled all the leftover meat and set is aside for some sammys and my bride is making some turkey pot pie for tomorrow.

For next time:

overnight in the fridge after the brine to dry out the skin more. Skin was crisp on the legs but not on the breast.

The ice was actually helpful - both legs and breast finished within 5 degrees of each other. Next time, 15 minutes before the evoo and rub go on - no longer.

Gonna have to figure out a way to get more garlic/herb/butter taste on the bird. meat was very very juicy...running everywhere, but the flavor was not popping on the breast meat. Now the LEGS...golly gee those was spectacular.
  • Looks fabulous.  Did my 1st spatchcock chicken a couple weeks ago.  I think I will have to give the turkey a test run this weekend.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2012
    Just a thought. Go to 400 the full cook and will crisp up skin. I will cook just legs lots of times and found on cooking legs if hit with Bone Sucking Sauce the last 15 min is real good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    @jimreed777' what was the approximate total cook time? I may do this for T day and want to plan as best as possible.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • A little over 90 minutes - I will go higher heat next time
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Jim....was that done on a large BGE?
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great job. Looks fantastic!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gpsegg said:
    Jim....was that done on a large BGE?
    yeah - I will grab some butchers twine for the legs next time so it is a little more compact on the grid