Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg Fused Shut

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about 3 years and after cooking some BBQ chicken last night, I do like I always do and opened the dampers to let it burn off the grease and other dripping. I went out to shut the dampers and the egg was much hotter than I have ever seen it. I use a Tel-tru thermometer which goes up to 800 degrees. It was almost at the 300 mark on a round trip.[p]After shutting it down, I went out this morning to clean the grate and cover it and I discovered my Egg was fused shut. I am guessing its is the gasket which I have never replaced. Any one ever have this happen to them and any advice on getting it open and changing the gasket?

Comments

• Dixieland Delights
    Options
    Bob,
    Had the same situation last month. I tried the putty knife method and even tried a flat head screwdriver. I ended up relighting the BGE by stuffing newspaper through the bottom vent and firing it up to about 500 before it finally opened with some light work with the putty knife. Good luck!