Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gravy for thanksgiving - help wanted

So for the first time I am going to be doing the turkey. I am going to brine it and smoke, probably using apple or cherry chips. The sides will be taken care of by diff family members. I would like to do the gravy though. I would love recipes and suggestions. Simpler the better ha. In addition if you have any suggestions of items I can cook quickly and easily on the egg that'd be great. I am cooking the turkey at my house but everyone will be eating at my mother in laws, and she only lives mile and a half away. I will be home while the turkey cooks but I don't want to,spend too much time home alone while everyone is there drinking and hanging out.
Boom

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

i always do a mad max turkey

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

i have been doing one for years. last year i brined the bird for the first time i did not use the pan drippings because they can be salty with a brined bird . but since turkey is so cheap i just bought a couple extra thighs and put them into a crock pot. cover with water and let them go overnight. when you wake up on thanksgiving morning your house willl already smell like turkey. i missed that since i got my egg.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 on the mad max method...I did this once and it was really good and not too difficult.  However, Bente makes a good point about the brined bird.  I would be concerned about the gravy turning out too salty.  A couple of thighs in a crock pot is a cool idea.  

For sides- I believe you mentioned you like doing corn on the cobb on the egg.  That's always a pretty easy side.  I usually do COCT in the shuck...and the nice thing is you can just pile it where ever.  I would think you could lean some cobbs around the turkey (or v-rack) for the last hour or so.  

Another side I like to do is baked mashed potatoes on the egg.  My wife makes the mashed potatoes inside and then puts them in a baking dish covered with cheese and I'll throw them on the egg for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted.  They will get hit with a nice bit of egg flavor even in that short time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Some folks get extra thighs, necks wings and roast in oven for a few hours, then add to pot with carrots and onions cover with water and cook for a few hours to make a stock. Take the drippings and stock add some flour-mix in cold water first- and make a gravy.
    This is the National Turkey Foundation version.

Gravy, Turkey, Basic

INGREDIENTS:  
    1   Package Neck, heart, gizzard from turkey giblets  
    1   Medium carrot thickly sliced  
    1   Medium onion thickly sliced  
    1   Medium celery rib thickly sliced  
    1/2 tsp    salt  
    1   turkey liver  

3 Tbs    fat from poultry drippings  
    3 Tbs    all-purpose flour  
    1/2 tsp    salt  
    1/3 cup    sherry  

salt to taste  

pepper to taste  

Procedure:
    1 In a 3-quart saucepan, over high heat, place neck, heart, gizzard, vegetables, and salt in enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
    2 Add liver and cook 15 minutes longer. Strain broth into a large bowl; cover and reserve broth in the refrigerator.
    3 To make the gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour poultry drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
    4 Add 1 cup giblet broth to the roasting pan and stir until the crusty brown bits are loosened; pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes, until the fat rises to the top.
    5 Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into the heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden.
    6 Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3-1/2 cups.
    7 Gradually whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture.
    8 Add sherry. Season with salt and pepper and heat to the simmering point. Serve hot in a warm gravy boat.

Servings: 15
    Yield: 3 3/4 cups

Recipe Type
    Sauce, Thanksgiving

Recipe Source

Source: The National Turkey Federation

• Here is my easy gravy, I usually buy a few extra turkey necks and use them as well.

Neck and giblets from turkey 
    2 small or 1 large onion
    2 carrots cut into ½ in pieces
    2 celery stalks cut into ½ in pieces
    1 quart of chicken or vegetable stock (I make my own vegetable stock to brine my turkey, so I always make extra for the gravy)
    2 Tablespoons of olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

Heat stock pot over medium high heat,
    add oil and turkey parts,
    cook until brown,
    add onions, carrots, celery and brown slightly,
    add stock and bring to a boil over high heat,
    reduce to simmer and reduce to about 2 cups, about 1-2 hours. 
    Strain and reserve.

Roux
    ¾ cup flour
    ¾ cup butter

In medium sauce pan heat butter and flour to create a roux about 4 minutes,
    add pan juices and then turkey stock and bring to a boil over high heat,
    reduce heat and simmer until desired thickness.

Edina, MN

• Thanks for the recipe Richard.  I was thinking of changing how I did my gravy (from last year).  I will give this a try.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited November 2012
    I am really old school when it comes to gravy.  I use this same approach for beef gravy as well.

However you cook your turkey, put a pan under it to catch the drippings and fat.  Hopefully, it will render 4 - 8 ounces.  Strain it if you want, or just pull out the big chucks.

No heat at this point.  Add about 1/2 cup of bleached white flour to the turkey fat.  Stir it into a roux.  Mix it as much as you can.  There should be no lumps.

Add about 1 cup of either water or chicken stock (prepared or made from scratch).  Stir it in completely.   Again, no lumps. 

Turn on the stove on medium low heat.  Slowly add another cup of water/stock.  Stir continuously until it starts to thicken.  Slowly, continue to add water/stock until you get the desired consistency.  Salt and pepper to taste.  This usually results in about 3 - 4 cups of gravy. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.