Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I know when I need a new felt gasket?

What are some indications of a fried gasket?  Does anyone have any pictures of good vs bad? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It'll look like burnt plastic.  You don't *need* one, but a good indicator that you could use a new one is if smoke is leaking through it.  
    When you are down to bare ceramic....if you so choose.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• My gasket has been charred since my 1st pizza cook over a year ago. Didn't bother replacing it, I have no issues cooking or holding temps so unless I see a need, I'm not going to replace the charred remnants of my old one. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    great, gasket stays looking new (ive actually seen this phenomenon on a well used egg)
    good, gasket turns black and crispy
    ok, gasket starts to fall off and you can hold temps,
    bad, gasket melts together and or falls off in several places
    really bad, dome is cemented shut by a melted gasket and you find your self cutting them apart

then there is, i dont care about this gasket and remove it and continue cooking like there was never a gasket problem to begin with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    It's your preference. If you feel like you want a new gasket than maybe you should change it. I happen to fall into the commando (gasket) group.
  • I've been sans gasket for so long all the crud has formed a new one

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks again Trev

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Quick question.  I did a cook tonight and the temps were at 450-500 and I could smell an odd smell.  I think it was the gasket burning.  Is this possible?

thanks for the help.

Cheers

• Could be. How old is your egg?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I did an indirect cook with my plate setter trying to cook a pizza at 600 degrees on a 3 week old large egg. When I opened the egg ( at 600 degrees) my gasket stuck together and fell into the fire! I now have a high temp gasket and it has been awesome! Although I am nervous to do another pizza cook. What I am trying to say is: go ahead a get a high temp. Gasket . Those felt ones are junk!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Zick Posts: 190
    I like having the gasket! I held temps fine without it, but I like to make sure no smoke leaks and it provides a little padding when shutting the lid.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • If you can hold a temp down in the 220/250 range your gasket is still functioning.  No matter what it looks like or if you see smoke leaking out, it is still working.   Once it becomes impossible to hold a temp down in that range your gasket is failing...time to replace. IMO

Some people change their gaskets early, to each their own.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I got my BGE in August, about a month before the company started shipping them with the high temperature (grey) gaskets. My first pizza cook started me down the path of destruction. My one regret is I didn't change to a high temperature gasket right away. I think more cooks fused the gasket adhesive to the ceramic and made it harder to change. 

BLOG: For anyone interested I wrote 2 blogs about my gasket changing experience-it wasn't as easy getting the old gasket off as some of the YouTube Videos imply. 

PICTURES: For the more visually oriented here are progress pictures of the destruction of my stock wool gasket.

My gasket  burnt on the first pizza cook (650 degrees). In the picture above (assuming the hinge is 12:00) notice the darker coloring between 4:00 & 8:00.

In the picture above about 1 month and 40 cooks later the gasket is shot. It is completely burned through around 1:00, almost burned through at 2:00, 2/3-3/4 burned through from 4:00-8:00, and just about burned through from 9:00-11:00.

The picture above is one month later when I changed the gasket. The existing wool gasket is missing and or burned throun between 1:00 & 2:00 on the bottom and it is in tatters on the top.

The good news is here is my new High Que high temperature gasket on month and 40 cooks later. About 3/4 of those cooks were 550 and above and it looks just about as good as the day I installed it.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Jim, if you face the legs up and put the pizza stone on a grate, the gasket doesn't get as hot.

I have never had any luck blaming odd smells on any source other than me.  My hat is off to you if you were able to pull it off.  ;)
  • I use my Egg 2-3 times per week.  The pic shows my Nomex gasket after 2 years of abuse.  It is baffling why they don't install this gasket at the factory.  If you want to turn your egg into a nuclear reactor then stock up on gaskets.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!