Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you wanted an Egg before you got one?

13»

Comments

• I love them long time before I got one.

HA!

That's the second post I've read from Travis today. Somebody's been watching Full Metal Jacket

As for me, I had no interest in them at first. During college I cooked on a little charcoal grill. I liked it, nut longed for a fancy new gas grill upon graduation. Well, as a graduation gift, my roomate gave me a used weber kettle. Used it for a few years until the legs rusted off. I really liked it and considered getting another charcoal grill, but the wife didn't want to deal with charcoal.

Finally got enough money for my fancy gasser. Ok it was a Charbroil professional series, but at age 25, that's as fancy as the budget allowed. Wife still wouldn't use it and said grilling was my job. Hurricane Irene came last year and blew over the gasser that I had put money into every year because the insides kept rusting. Fired the gasser up after the hurricane and flames shot out of the knobs (that was fun to turn off). Meanwhile I had seen eggs over the years at home shows. Had burgers cooked on one as soon as the gasser was dead, a new egg arrived.

I'll never look back and will never own another Charbroil product again.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Almost 5 years, cost was the reason....And then one day I got a bonus and said you know what I deserve? About a month after I got my LBGE I sold my gasser at a yard-sale and have never looked back. I'm hooked, since I got mine my next door neighbor bought one and the guy across the street is about ready to pop.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I started using a Weber Smoky Mountain about 6 years ago and through various forums, learned about what the Egg could do. In the meantime, my WSM got beat up badly in a bad storm last winter. I was traveling in New Orleans and had a very lucky night at the poker table. My wonderful wife convinced me to take my winnings and buy the Egg. She said, "If you don't, you know you will lose next time you play so you might as well buy yourself something." Pair that with my local dealer having a sale and I became a proud owner of a LBGE. Can't believe I waited this long. Yes, the cost is high but I love using it and spend almost every day looking for new things to cook.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    About 9 months total (6 months thinking about it & waffling over the price, then found out about Eggfests & demo eggs and ordered an XL, 3 agonizing months of waiting for the fest). At the fest I showed my wife a Small Egg someone brought and she said "It is so cute, can we get one?" :-O

So we ended up with an XL & Small within about a week.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited November 2012

I ate off of a friends egg for a couple of years and always liked the way everything he cooked came out. Then one day he made a prime rib roast that was as good as a place near me which was the only place I could eat steak away from home. At that point I had to get one, Well, it took almost 2 years but I went to the Woodburners eggfest and took possession of my first egg. Now I have a second large and I am just waiting for the right time to get a small.

BTW that place, the Library II is still the only place I will eat prime rib, or any steak away from home.

• We didn't know we wanted one, didn't even know what they were.  

We were ready to order a  custom made offset smoker when the owner of BBOutfitters talked us into take an egg for a test cook.  He sold us a large and promised if we didn't like it they would take it back and order me the offset.  

The large has never left the backyard. Although I get nostalgic for an offset every once in a while, we now have three eggs and still no offset.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    For me it was three years. I had a business lunch in Baton Rouge. The guy I was with made some beer can chicken for lunch. After eating the chicken, and learning about the egg, I said to my wife this is a must. Three years later it was a birthday present. One year after that, I build an outdoor kitchen around it. Best hobby ever!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited November 2012
    I first heard of the BGE from a firearms forum thread about four years ago. I really wanted one ever since but my gasser was fairly new and I couldn't justify the expense to my SIGnifficant other. Then... I had an epiphany... I used the fact that one can bake on a BGE to convince her that it's a hurricane preparedness item. Along comes Hurricane Isaac and viola... new BGE for me. :D

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    I was relatively happy with my CG Smokin Pro and very happy with my 9 year old Kenmore Elite 6 burner gas grill. But they were getting old and I wanted to do something to help take the workload off them. Over at the Barbecue Bible several of the most experienced cooks had all gotten BGE's in the last year or two. Money was tight and while I could see the advantage of a Kamado style cooker, I couldn't afford an Egg.  6 months ago Chargriller came out with their CG Kamado Kooker and I thought I would get one in August. Then a surprise from Apple. They announced a quarterly stock dividend, with the first one coming in August. I'd bought lots of Apple stock when it was real cheap. I was a bit worried about the CG Kamado because although it was rather well made, folks kept saying how good it was after you fixed or modified several problem items. I don't want to work on my grill, I want to cook on it. So I decided to spend the extra money and it has been well worth it. Better build quality, better availability of accessories, better help & support (like tihs forum). I am grilling more & enjoying it more than ever. Already looking ahead to my second Egg.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Many years ago I heard a local talk radio guy talking about how much he liked his Egg. So I looked them up and thought they looked weird. A few weeks later I saw a small at a garage sale at a fairly good price, and bought it. I like that I can move it myself, without 3 guys and a mule to move a large or XL.
  • My decision came in2 stages. First a friend told me I should get a big green egg. I had no idea what he was talking about so he gave me a brief explanation. Charcoal vs gas. Then wife and I Took a float plane in Alaska to a remote lodge for a king salmon lunch. I watched them grill fresh king salmon over an open alder wood fire. Then I told her when we get home we are converting to charcoal. Remembering my friends advice I went to BGE store and bought a large. Now I have another large at the lake house.
  • Parallel said:

I first heard of the BGE from a firearms forum thread about four years ago. I really wanted one ever since but my gasser was fairly new and I couldn't justify the expense to my SIGnifficant other. Then... I had an epiphany... I used the fact that one can bake on a BGE to convince her that it's a hurricane preparedness item. Along comes Hurricane Isaac and viola... new BGE for me. :D

That was a good line about baking. Although you can easily bake on a gasser too. My mom does it all of the time. Shhh...I won't tell. ;)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • About 2-3yrs but didn't want to buy it in Canada because our dollar was rising significantly against the greenback, but the price of the egg didn't come down.  When the chance came, I took our strong dollar to the US where I got my money's worth. I tied it in with a family vacation.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • I waited for almost  two years before I bought my LBGE back in 2005.

Hoppette and I had tasted smoked butt from a friend's egg for years before I found the money to buy one.

Took about 15 lbs. of pulled pork to a family gathering last night, (a Bon-fire event) and every one enjoyed the sandwiches and Brunswick stew. My son-in-law who has been smoking butts for years remarked it was the best he has ever tasted.

Best investment I have ever made. 

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    That was a good line about baking. Although you can easily bake on a gasser too. My mom does it all of the time. Shhh...I won't tell. ;)
    LOL... thanks for keeping it hush hush.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    For me it was 5 of the longest years of my life.  Now I have a happy life because of my wife!!!! She couldn't see my cheep A$$ suffer any more and got me it for my birthday
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It took 6 months for me to convince my wife for us to get a BGE. Within 6 months after getting our large BGE she asked me when we were getting a small BGE....we now have 4 BGE's and it is just the 2 of us most times...life is good...  :x
  • Yeah but you are rich

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424

Kind of spontaneous...  Went shopping one day.  Jacksons, for those of you in Dallas.  Started talking to the sales rep about the BGE.  When he started talking about how it would go for 16 hours or more on one load of charcoal, I threw out the coach's red challenge flag, screaming BS. 

My point of reference was my offset firebox smoker that I had used for years.  New charcoal about every 60-90 minutes. 

A customer walked by, overheard our conversation and affirmed the sale's rep's story. 

2 days later, I was cooking on my XL.  I get teary eyed just thinking about it...

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DonWW said:

Kind of spontaneous...  Went shopping one day.  Jacksons, for those of you in Dallas.  Started talking to the sales rep about the BGE.  When he started talking about how it would go for 16 hours or more on one load of charcoal, I threw out the coach's red challenge flag, screaming BS. 

My point of reference was my offset firebox smoker that I had used for years.  New charcoal about every 60-90 minutes. 

A customer walked by, overheard our conversation and affirmed the sale's rep's story. 

2 days later, I was cooking on my XL.  I get teary eyed just thinking about it...

Did you lose a timout or have to take one?  Heh, heh, heh!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Just a week or two.  My wife bought an antique bedroom set and called it her Christmas present, so of course I had to get mine (LBGE).

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Searched the egg online for about 2 days, first day off, went and got a large...best $1200 I ever spent
  • My neighbor had one and after I tasted some food off of it, I knew I had to have one.  The thing was I could use his whenever I wanted so we cut a deal, he could use my riding lawnmower and I could use his egg.  Well I moved in May, and was eggless.  Waited about a month before getting my very own.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    JwgreDeux said:
    My neighbor had one and after I tasted some food off of it, I knew I had to have one.  The thing was I could use his whenever I wanted so we cut a deal, he could use my riding lawnmower and I could use his egg.  Well I moved in May, and was eggless.  Waited about a month before getting my very own.
    You're neighbor was nice.  Nobody touches my Eggs except Wilma and she has no desire to!  Wait, that sounded kinda dirty.  Oh well...
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited November 2012
    Our gasser was almost dead so I went to our dealer to get another gasser. He showed me the egg and gave me his sales pitch plus some literature. I went home talked to the wife and took her back to see it. We were sold and bought one that day. I wasn't looking for a charcoal grill but I'm sure glad I got it and not another gasser. Now we own two.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • 11 years. My dad and brother (who live in a different state) have both had one for 11 years and I got mine 3 months ago. The excuses are endless...from "I don't have the money right now" to "I'm waiting to build an outdoor kitchen". I feel like the last 11 years have been wasted. :). It has been fun the last 3 months. I think I have cooked on it enough to make up for 3 of those years.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Went from not knowing what a BGE is to needing one is less than a week.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I would see them in the store.  "Who would pay that much for a grill?", I asked myself.  ME!
    My first taste test and I was hooked.  I now have two.  We have a mini for the camper.  I hated leaving my BGE behind when we went camping.  Now, the mini has it's own bedroom in the camper!