Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redemption! Injected Pork Shoulder

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I got this recipe idea from Triple D.   I think the link was posted in the forum not too long ago.
The chef won 3rd place in Memphis in May with this recipe. 

I injected a 5lb pork with a mixture of strained Italian dressing and apple juice with some rub added and let it sit overnight.  The next morning, I coated the meat with a 60/40 mustard/beer mixture, added rub, S&P and the leftover goobers from the Italian dressing. 

Cooked indirect at 220 - 240 for about 8 hours.   Internal was about 190.  Would have liked to have gone a little longer, but I was running late as it was. 

Stinking delicious!  Added some BBQ sauce, coleslaw, and served on a bun.  Side of roasted brussel sprouts. 
This was complete redemption for the miscue on the citrus zested pork tenderloin.  

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks great. This is the second glowing review of this method, so it's going to have to be my next attempt!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    If people are liking italian dreessing i'd reccomend trying the same thing with Goya (or other, or home made) Mojo Criollo.  Personal opinion that it lends itself better to pork and in worst case it's something different.  I inject picnic shoulders with it, cook to 150 and slice. Different game altogether .. but fun.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    TonyA said:
    If people are liking italian dreessing i'd reccomend trying the same thing with Goya (or other, or home made) Mojo Criollo.  Personal opinion that it lends itself better to pork and in worst case it's something different.  I inject picnic shoulders with it, cook to 150 and slice. Different game altogether .. but fun.
    Hmmm...... That sounds like a quickie lechon asado/pernil. I go old school and cross-hatch the fat, chop up a couple of heads of garlic and stuff the mojo mixture into slits I cut into the pork. Marinate overnight and roast to temp. I'll have to give this a try as it would save a lot of prep time.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    @eggcelsior Exactly! I cross cut the skin too .. but yeah .. injecting will spare you the overnight.  Just separate the settle and rub it on the surface with a little adobo.  We do a lot of pulled pork and braising .. so we welcome the firmer texture of the sliced roast and the crunchy skin - still moist just more like a steak.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @TonyA That's great. I've never thought to do that. My wife is Puerto Rican so I had to learned cocina criolla real fast. I do it just like you with the adobo. At least with an overnight, it starts to cure the meat and makes the cueritos like bacon. Garlicky bacon..............