Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crêpes aux Crevettes (5 pictures)

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
... or Shrimp crêpes.  Ever since Nola posted his crêpe thread, I have been wanting crêpes.  I don't make them often and I don't know why.  They are so delicate and very versatile.   This time, I thought I'd make one of my favorites - seafood crêpes.  But, I didn't have crab or scallops, so I went with straight shrimp.

Here are some pictures.  I don't know if many will want to try this, so I won't post the recipes.  But, if you do, message me, and I'll send them on.

Crêpe in the skillet.

Filling the crêpe with shrimp and Béchamel sauce.

On the Egg at 425° for 15 minutes.  This will cook the shrimp.

Ready to eat.

I normally fly the Texas flag year round, but on special occasions, I will fly others.  Today, being Veteran's Day, I am flying the Stars and Stripes in honor of all of my military brothers and sisters, past, present, and future - God Bless !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Niiiice Cook Gary! Pam has to love the effort you put into your preparation. If she doesn't, let me know and I'll come eat crepes with you hahhahahah
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Man that brings back memories. My mom used to do them with shrimp and scallops with a rum infused St. Jaques sauce. Excellent!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @Cazzy You're welcome, any time.

@Little Steven  I started to call them St. Jacques, but that (apparently) implies scallops.  Glad I brought back memories.  In this case, the béchamel sauce was infused with dry sherry and swiss cheese.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mom did hers with emmenthal. Can't be the same recipe cause it came from a book put out by Seagrams distilleries in the seventies. I have two copies of the book but can't locate either of them. She had a crepe pan that you dipped in the batter, bottom first and cooked inverted. Never found it when she passed away. If I ever find the book I'll copy and send you the recipe.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    VI - off the charts!

Used to make coquilles saint Jacques - a bechamel based bay scallop dish for the restaurant I worked at.  Probably made and cooked a few thousand of them in the day.  Damn good use for bay scallops. 

Again, VI, looks delish.

=D> =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Have fork will travel.  Another stellar cook.  Thank you for your service..  Did you do the crepes on the egg or stove?

=D> =D>
    Thanks, Joan.  I do the crepes on the stove.  Also, the bechamel sauce.

I did the final bake on the Egg so I could post it here.  
    :))

I thank your husband for his service in VietNam.  He was never given the proper appreciation for his sacrifices.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Look mighty good VI, I'd certainly eat a few of those
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'd like the recipe mate.  I do crepes, but usually dessert crepes.

• BYS1981 said:
    I'd like the recipe mate.  I do crepes, but usually dessert crepes.
    It just dawned on me.  If I'm going to send the recipe as a message, I might as well post it here.

Crepes, dinner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 cup Flour, all purpose

1/8 teaspoon Salt

3 Eggs

1 1/2 cups Milk

2 tablespoons Butter, melted, or oil

Directions:

1. Sift flour and salt.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Add melted butter and beat until smooth (or mix in electric blender until smooth). Let batter stand for 1 hour before cooking crepes.  Makes about 18 crepes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bechamel Sauce

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons Butter

4 tablespoons Flour     

1 cup Milk

2 cups Whipping cream

1 teaspoon Salt

1/8 teaspoon Pepper, White

In a heavy 2- or 3-quart saucepan melt butter over moderate heat. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Add milk and cream all at once, stirring constantly with whisk. When the sauce comes to a boil and is smooth, reduce heat. Simmer, still stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thick enough to coat the whisk wires heavily. Remove from heat and season with salt and white pepper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seafood Crepes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

Crepes

Bechamel sauce

5+ tablespoons Sherry, Dry

2 cups Swiss cheese, grated

1/2  pound Shrimp, cut into pieces

1/2 pound Crab meat

1 bunch Scallions, chopped

Salt, to taste

Pepper  , to taste

Directions:

1. Add sherry and cheese to baceamella sauce

2. Combine half the sauce with seafood and scallions, season to taste.

3. Place a big spoonful of shellfish mix on each crepe.  Roll up and place in buttered baking dish.

4. Top with remaining sauce, sprinkle with additional cheese

5. Bake about 15 minutes at 425 degrees until hot and brown

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    Trés bien! Trés magnifique!

Also as mentioned above, thanks to all of those who have served and their families for all the sacrifices they have made on behalf of our country.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! Outstanding! Never made crepes, only had them a few times, but I would gladly take a plate of those right about now. Great job. ^:)^

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• You had me at Béchamel.   :x
    Thank you for the recipe... it's on the list! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just not right. No way in hell I can make fun of you when you do a post like this. Just glad to be able to call you a friend my friend. Outstanding......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thanks for sharing. Your dish looks exquisite. =D>  ^:)^