Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey--How Big?

Options
My wife has always done a 20 to 24 pound turkey for Thanksgiving.

I will be getting my chance to do it on the egg this year.  How big of a turkey will fit on my Large?
My intention is to just lay it in the rib rack.
Thanks

Comments

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    It's funny I just came on-line to research this and saw your post from about 15 minutes ago. I'm in the exact situation with my large that I got this summer. My thoughts are to go smaller, perhaps 12 - 14 pounds?

I'd love feedback on this and all else relating to Thanksgiving turkey from the BGE veterans out there.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    BGE website advertises a 20# turkey on the LBGE-If spatchcocking the bird the largest I fit w/o getting creative is around 16#'s on the grid.  Check out the Mad Max turkey recipe here as it may have better info- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm BTW TNW's site is a great source of all things ceramic.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've managed 24 pounds. You may have to pull the dome thermo and use the clip as a spacer. You can go bigger if you take out the fire ring.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks for the info---wish me luck
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Out of curiosity, pulling the fire ring out, are you still doing an indirect cook?  I know the fire is hotter the closer you get to the lump.

Glad I saw this post to, because trying to get an idea on how big I can do, I know the arguments that smaller birds are better then one big bird, but it doesn't help when you need turkey for 20 people.

Thanks!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I just did a trial spatchcock turkey yesterday (1st time with a turkey) at 15 lbs., raised grill to the top, direct.  It fit easily.  I think I could confidently get a 17-18 lb turkey on there doing it that way.

However, I wasn't really impressed with the results.  I suspect it was my lack of experience, but I don't really know what to do to confidently correct it other than start experimenting.  Since Thanksgiving is upon us, I'll just resign to to it in the oven again this year and experiment down the road.  (FWIW, I did it about 400-425+ and the temps came into range at about 1.5 hrs.  The turkey was dryer than I would have liked and the breast skin was not crisp - legs were.)
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Hoppy & Hoppette
    Options

I have done 18-20 # birds in the past.

Cook using the indirect method using the plate setter with legs up and a aluminum drip directly under the bird to catch the drippings. I baste the bird every hour or so using the drippings.  

As mentioned above, move the lid thermostat out from the lid using the spring clip for the clearance of the probe to the bird.

Good luck

• JwgreDeux
    Options

cssmd27 said:
    I just did a trial spatchcock turkey yesterday (1st time with a turkey) at 15 lbs., raised grill to the top, direct.  It fit easily.  I think I could confidently get a 17-18 lb turkey on there doing it that way.

However, I wasn't really impressed with the results.  I suspect it was my lack of experience, but I don't really know what to do to confidently correct it other than start experimenting.  Since Thanksgiving is upon us, I'll just resign to to it in the oven again this year and experiment down the road.  (FWIW, I did it about 400-425+ and the temps came into range at about 1.5 hrs.  The turkey was dryer than I would have liked and the breast skin was not crisp - legs were.)
    I have done chickens direct and indirect with little difference, however the differences were crispier skin and a little longer cooking time when cooking indirect.  I am also doing my first turkey soon for practice and again on gameday (I mean Thanksgiving), but going indirect may remedy your issues.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

What temp do you cook your turkey when using the oven?  

Baking (indirect cooking) on the egg is no different that the oven.  I think your temp on the egg was a bit too high.  I would drop the temp down to 350+/- and cook indirect for a longer time.  

If you want /need to crisp up the skin you can always run the egg temp up when bird IT is within 20 degrees of final cooking temp.  Remove plate setter and place bird bird on the grate and cook to final temp.   

An indirect set up:   plate setter legs up, grate on plate, roasting pan on grate, turkey either setting on veggies or on a v rack.  Good luck
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JwgreDeux
    Options
    If a turkey is done whole, rather than spatched, how long will it stay hot/warm and moist in FTC?