Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey from The Fresh Market

Options
I know there are a thousand forums going on right now about turkeys. I'm looking for the best place to buy an unfrozen turkey that has not already been injected or enhanced with salt, etc. I want to brine it myself. I called The Fresh Market yesterday and they told me theirs are all natural. Has anyone purchased a turkey from there? Is it worth the $2.29/lb? Do any major grocery stores - we have Kroger, Publix, and Walmart - carry unfrozen turkeys that haven't been pre-injected?

I think I'm going to try the amazing ribs recipe for Thanksgiving.

Dawson

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried a bird from the fresh market.  I got a fresh bird from trader joes, but it was pre-brined and it was $1.99 per lb I believe.  My local butcher charges $3.49/lb for a fresh "free range" bird.  I don't think that $2.29 is too bad.  I don't have a fresh market too close to me, but I did stop in there once and get a dessert and it was really good ;).  I have heard good things about FM, so I would give it a shot. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I haven't had FM's turkey, but other meats I've gotten there have been good. My butcher is charging $2.79. Another one nearby is charging 3.19 for fresh Amish turkey.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWMBO bought two turkeys earlier this week.  She used Wal-Fart's price match and got a 13 pound and 17 pound butterball turkeys for $0.99/lb.  They are natural - no hormones, not injectionized or brined.  I'm not crazy about the company because of their recent history, but we'll see shortly how they taste.