Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving meat combos

I have been tasked with doing "the meat" for turkey day this year. Hoping to do a 12lb turkey and something else for about 12 people. There are a few concerns here: temps and room for starters I suppose. Any of you do multiple types at close to same temp and finish times ? Can a turkey be ftc'd? I think I can cook the turkey at 325-350 to 160 and that should be roughly 2.5-3 hours. Hoping to throw on a small beef tenderloin or small prime rib on the large bge. Thoughts?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've ftc'ed a turkey before. Can't member how long it was, but just like a brisket or pork but, when I went to cut it, it was still almost too hot to handle with bare hands. Didn't seem to hurt it any and it was my best turkey to date. At 350, figure about 15 minutes a pound, but always cook to temp, not time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• If you FTC the turkey the IT will continue to climb.  I would think that you would have enough time to do the tenderloin while the turkey rests before it ready to be carved.  The prime rib on the other hand may take too long to cook and rest before it ready.  I'm sure others will chime in with additional information. 
    Edina, MN

• You will lose the skin crispiness. I would do it on the egg until about 130* breast then move to a low oven while you do the beef.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    You will lose the skin crispiness. I would do it on the egg until about 130* breast then move to a low oven while you do the beef.

That's a great idea. Thanks for that comment about adding some wings to get some additional drippings as well!