Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Cook??

Options
I have a Large Big Green Egg and planning to cook 4 rack of ribs this weekend. I dont think all 4 racks will fit on the cooking grid. I have an extended grid i can use. Would I rotate them from higher to lower half way thru or what would anyone advise? Thanks.

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    You could use a rib rack and stand them up or do multiple levels, no real need to rotate with an indirect set up.  Have fun and post some pics.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    If your using the raised grid doing 2 high and 2 low I would rotate them during the cook. The high ones will cook faster. You didnt say spares or babybacks but this is how I do spares rotating the racks

3 hours 250 - rotate at 1.5
    1 hours 250 spritzing every halfway and rotating
    1 hour 275-300 saucing halfway and rotating. 

Theyre done when the rack bends to a break in the middle and or meat is pulled back from the bone about half an inch. Works with Babybacks but cooked about 4 hours instead of 5

you could also use a rib rack and you wont have to rotate at all. There are tons of good techniques. This is just how I do them.

Hope this answers your question
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Rib rack would be a smart, inexpensive and often used accessory.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Packing them on there you're sure to have some hanging over the place setter....place foil, shiny side down underneath the ribs to prevent the ends from burning.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Simply_Smokin
    Options

Thanks for all the tips. I wanted to post some before and after pictures. As you can see I used the raised grid and some tin foil on the plate setter, although I need more tin foil to help with burnt ends. 

Friday night around midnight I rubbed two of the racks with Three Little Pigs Cherry rub, one with and homeade rub and one with Bone Doctors Premium Rub. They went on the Egg around 1:00 pm, cooked at 250 and rotated from upper grid to lower grid after about 1.5 hours, then after another hour they were wrapped in foil and cooked another couple of hours.  I then unwrapped and sauced with Bone Doctors Orginal BBQ Sauce for about 30 min.

They were tender and delicious, feed 3 couples, and you can see the leftovers in the second picture, "after."

Thanks again for all the tips and hints.