Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

47# Whole Pig on BGE XL - First Time

Options
2»

Comments

• RivahPirate
    Options

JoeGrill:

Congratulations on the completion of your endeavor.  In your summary post, you indicated some of the cuts were mealy.  Do you happen to recall if these parts were on the "bottom side" (e.g. side of pig closest to the platesetter and charcoal)?  I am inquiring because in the summer I did a 25 lb. suckling pig and found some of the pork to be mealy.  I decided that these were parts that were constantly basting in the juices and being braised rather than being smoked/roasted. 

On the next attempt I am planning on incorporating a turn/flip of the pig to see if there is any difference.  The thought is that each side of the pig will self baste for a period of time.  During your cook did you turn/flip the pig during the cooking process?

Once again congratulations.. 

• JoeGrill
    Options
    Asfish it went on the egg at 47 lbs.
  • JoeGrill
    JoeGrill Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    Options
    RivahPirate - I'm not sure where those cuts came from and I'm not sure what makes meat mealy. I attributed it to maybe being over cooked, but that's just a guess. Let me know if your method works. I'll try to do a little research before the next cook. I did not flip during the cook.
  • JoeGrill
    Options
    All that said, the guests still raved about the meal and I received another complement on the meal yesterday. It turned out great, I'm just a perfectionist. If you haven't tried it, go for it. It's a fun cook!