Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgating - pork ribs

Plan on smoking some ribs at my house on the BGE before heading to the tailgate.  Will probably leave the house around 1 and pull the ribs off right before leaving.  However, won't be eating until 4 or 5.  What is the best way to keep these between pulling them off the egg and when we eat?  Wrap in foil and a towel and place in a cooler similar to a pork butt/shoulder?  Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Large BGE

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    That's what I would think but I doubt they'll be warm after that much time. Shoulders and briskets can keep temp for a long period of time because they have a lot of volume. Ribs have very lil meat so there isn't much to them.

I'm sure you can get creative and use something to keep them warm. I would definitely wrap them all together so they can help each other out when you FTC.

Curious to hear other opinions.

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The wife has a Pyrex portable "bag" that she uses to keep things worm for our tailgates. It has two inserts that are microwavable. One for the top and bottom pockets. Comes with a glass bowl (10 x  16) and has a cover. Works great for baked beans and such. Just an Idea. Keep the bag in the truck covered with a heavy towel till it's time to munch. Have fun !

Opelika, Alabama
  • Key is to pre-heat the cooler with boiling water for a good hour before you put the meat/towels in there.  Just boil a big pot of water and pour into cooler. Close and let sit for an hour.  open quickly, pour out water, and drop your meat/towel bundle right in.  make sure you have towels all the way to top.  keep closed until you want to eat.  I also suggest that you at least double wrap the ribs in HDAF and do all slabs together.

Plus since I see you will be over in FTW for the kstate game, i will come over to your tailgate and "inspect" that you did it correctly.....j/k  - Go Frogs.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What time will you get to the tail gate location?  If you are going to get there an hour or two before you eat and could set something up, then a couple of more options might be:

-Cook ribs a day ahead and wrap/fridge.  Cut into 2-4 bones before you leave.  Transport in a cold cooler, then re-heat on a portable grill and sauce. 

-Chaffing dish/buffet thingie.  Sterno makes a buffet that uses foil pans.  I've also seen these at Costco/BJ's (wire frame that uses pans).  Transport the ribs FTC'd and when you get there set up up in chaffing dish/buffet. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited November 2012
    imageimage

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've heard of people cooking and keeping food warm on the engine of their vehicle ....but would probably follow Frisco.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Jason, what do you do with the egg while you're at the game?  Is it cooled down enough to put back in the car?  Car get a nice smoke smell from the Egg?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• @YEMTrey

2 options, first... Leave the lump in the egg and snuff it out, thus making the egg 300 degrees for hours and hours as it slowly cools. How many bums do you know that can carry 150lbs+? Let alone when it is friggin hot! Lol, the second, which is what I have done as well... As soon as you are done cooking, remove any remaining lump and the cast iron grates if you have them. Leave the egg open and it will cool within an hour. I had mine at 650 after the appy's came off to sear some steaks and it cooled off enough to put back in the navigator in one hour. Also, if you are parked by a wall or fence at tailgate, and happen to know the people next to you as I do, put the egg in between the trucks, and reposition the trucks so that the egg cannot be rolled out at all. No one and I mean no one will try to lift that thing above their heads to take it. Most people don't even know what it is anyway.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."