Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok Whos the chili eggspert in here?

Hi everyone, Its been a spell sense I been in here and now I just entered a Chli contest where i work and the prise is a $500.00 stainless steel  cooking set.

Im wanting to know a good chili recipy and I thought since the last few years tasting everyone elses chili there in the cook offs  I want to smoke mine to give it a twist and I am going to get some sirloin steak and cook it and add to the chili.  any help would be appreciated.  Thanks    Dave in spring hill fl

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ask Griffin...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    No, don't ask me. I dump stuff in a pot until it starts to taste right. Nothing written down....'cept NO BEANS!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Griffin said:

No, don't ask me. I dump stuff in a pot until it starts to taste right. Nothing written down....'cept NO BEANS!!

I saw you put Bloody Mary mix in your chili.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Griffin is right dump stuff till it tastes right. Even Bloody Mary Mix.
    Beans in Chili is North of the Mason Dixon Line.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    TUTTLE871 said:
    I saw you put Bloody Mary mix in your chili.
    Yeah, that happened. And a bit of Dack Janiels as well.

Rowlett, Texas

• Thanks Richard   I wil have to scale it down to crock pot size.

• Griffin

How big a recipe are you looking to make? I've got one (an actual recipe) that my friends have all liked that was given to me on another forum. The guy who gave it to me has won actual contests with it, but from what I remember its pretty big. It's similar to the one I make, but scaled up and I usually cook my onions and garlic along with the meat when I'm browning it.

6 lbs beef chili grind (chuck)
    2 lbs ground pork
    3 8oz cans tomato sauce
    2 large onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed & chopped
    2 Jalepeno peppers
    5 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp cumin, ground
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp oregano
    salt to taste
    1-2 tsp paprika
    cayenee pepper to taste
    masa harina (as needed)
    1 quart beef stock
    crushed red pepper to taste

Brown meat in a cast iron skillet (about 2-3 lbs at a time) until grey in color, drain grease. Place in chili pot, adding tomato sauce and equal amounts of water. Add chopped onion, garlic, jalepeno peppers (diced), and chili powder. Simmer 20 minutes, then add cumin, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. As moisture is required, add beef stock until amount is used, then add water if needed. Simmer covered until meat is tender (about 2 hours), stirring occasionally. Adding a couple of teaspoons of masa in the end will thicken the mixture if needed (a little bit goes a long way, so start off slow). Add paprika for color. Cook 10 additional minutes, correct seasoning to taste. *HINT* A small amount of cumin enhances aroma when added in the last 10 minutes. Serve!

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like this recipe:

Someone mentioned that they entered a competition and took second place, but lost to another person cooking on an egg.  Here is that post:

Note: The recipes vary slightly.  The first link is what I believe is the latest version floating around. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mine recipe is similar to Griffins, but I add a shot of espresso and a half can of good beer.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    edited November 2012
    We went to a chili cook-off a week ago.  There were about 20 entrants, a lot of typical chili's.  The winner actually won with an "alternative" chili.  He did a smoked ham and black bean "chili" (soup, some would call it).  It had the consistency of chili, but not the typical chili beans and meat.  

I admit, I voted for it.  It was very tasty, and the smoked ham was wonderful.