Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt

I want to cook a Boston butt this weekend for my daughters bday party. I've cooked a couple in the past and they have been mediocre. Can you all give me some tips, do's and donts. I want this to be the tastiest butt yet! Lol

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

Tons of tips @ the link above. 

Edina, MN

• Use large bone in butt......rub meat side with seasoning of your choice.....get Egg temp to 225 degrees.....put in butt fat side down......cook to internal temp 195-200 Link above for the Elder Ward method is good reading......remember, butts are easy and tasty
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep, large bone-in cryovac packaged.

There's also nothing wrong with 50/50 salt/course ground pepper (chef's pepper) as a rub.  You can use a finishing sauce later after it's pulled.

Make sure your smoke smells good - no white smoke - you want black or clear.

No need to warm it up before throwing on the egg.  You can pull it from the fridge, apply rub and immediately throw it on.

I'd take it easy on wood smoke for a kids b-day party.  Not everyone likes LOTS of smoke.  Just by virtue of it being cooked on a charcoal fire it'll taste good.
    Cryovac packaging sounds fancy. Lol not sure if I will find that around my super market.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's pretty common.  It's a "factory" packing rather than a grocery store packing.  Fresher, less handling and keeps for quite a while in your fridge, or you can freeze without risk of freezer burn.

Its likely the market gets them in Cryovac packs, and cuts them into smaller pieces. I eventually found a market that sells them 2 at a time in the cryovac pak. But before that, I would have to ask the meat department for a whole butt, or at least the biggest piece that was on hand.

My limited experience is that portions under 4 pounds don't turn out as well as bigger pieces.

My favorite sauce for PP is Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Just a little tangy. You might be able to have some shipped to you by the weekend.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do mine fat side up. I have my butcher special cut mine. Allow a couple of hrs per pound. you can always ftc for several hrs. Good luck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Should I raise my cooking grid or anything. Or doesn't that matter. Obviously I'm cooking indirect didn't now if height of grid mattered.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd cook mine a bit higher temp. 250-275 at grate level. Wouldn't even worry if dome temp got up to 300F. Butts are pretty forgiving and can take the higher heat, also results in shorter cooking time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tybish
    I wonder how long it will be ok once ftc
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    It should be able to stay FTC for a few hours.  The longest I've gone FTC is 3.5 hours once, but I've heard people here have gone a bit longer.  You can always hold in a warm oven.  You know, that boxy hot thing in the room where you keep your knives.  Oops, forgot to say nice looking butt and the crust is really nice too.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tybish
    Everything turned out great! Everyone loved it. I just finished the couple of scraps that were left over. I also used elders piedmont sauce which was really good. Thanks for the great info everyone...now what to make today? :D