Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first turkey

Options

i know there has been lots of discussion about turkey on the BGE.....this will be my first time, and I decided to start with a breast.  Have a 10lb.  I will brine it overnight.  I assume it will be indirect, with the plate setter on.  What temp should I keep the egg at, and how long (approximately) do you guys think it will take to get the turkey to the right temp?

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited November 2012
    Options

I recently did a turkey breast smaller than yours, but injected it cooked indirect @ 325 dome to an IT of 160.  Mine took about an hour.

Here is a video from Dr BBQ on turkey breast:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEL4yLnEKQ

Edina, MN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2012
    Options

For me....... Direct raised at 400 and cook to 160. (i don't brine, but can't hurt)

I like coffee rub, use what you like..... VERY LIGHT WOOD, i like less than (total) handfull cherry/pecan chips,,,,,,, not much wood please.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Mickey, do you spatchcock yours?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Mickey may be partying at Plano but he does spatchcock his.  I also spatchcock but instead of direct I go indirect at around 350*F-15# bird (about as big as can fit on the LBGE w/o getting creative) takes around 2.5 hrs to 160 in the breast.  Put the legs to the back (naturally hotter zone in BGE) and they will get to 180 at the same time.  Easy and great tasting!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • doncarl
    Options

did my first turkey breast yesterday.....worked out great.  platesetter legs up, drip pan, grate, breast sitting on grate, dome temp at 350.  it was 10 lb and took almost exactly 2 1/2 hours to get to 160.  i turned it halfway thru because my BGE gets hotter in the back with the platesetter legs up.

on to Thanksgiving!

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Glad the turkey turn out to your liking, but where are the pictures?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • doncarl
    Options
    it was getting dark....people waiting ...sides to prepare...etc.  Next time