Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Sausages on Egg?

Options
So thought I would smoke some sausage on the egg along with some chicken wings for tailgating the next day.  I've never done it before, so some questions...

Was going to do Italian sausage since on sale.  Do I "boil" in beer first or go straight on the smoker?  
How long to you smoke them and when do you know they are done?
Any certain wood work better than other?

Any suggestions on the sausages and the wings would be great!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I don't think you need to boil them first.  I think you will get better smoke flavor if you just put them on uncooked.  I think any smoke such as hickory, apple, cherry would be good...I think something like oak or mesquite would be too strong.  

The best way to know they are done is with an instant read thermometer.  I would double check the package but I think sausage is probably 160 internal temp. 

As far as time...depends on what temperature you are cooking at.  I usually do wings indirect at 300-350, maybe an hour.  I would probably just throw the sausages on with the wings and check them after 45 minutes or so.   If you want to do a more low n slow then I'm sure that would be great too.  For wings n chicken, the only advantage I see for low n slow is more time to soak up smoke. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Do you mean smoked unpreserved sausage? You want to do them raised direct at low temps. It is a sin in the church of Eggdome to burst casings. Where did those smileys go?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

Pardon me, but I really don't understand...why boil in beer first? 

Do you boil a burger before grilling, or a fatty? 

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

To answer the question Little Steven is spot on, raised grate, medium low heat(dome 300-350 works for me), turning often. 

Some may think I'm nuts, but I cook brats and italians by feel just like the old man taught me, firm to the touch.  Never poke a hole in the casing to do a temp check, go at the end if you must.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012
    Options

lwrehm knows what he's talking about.  If you break the skin, you've failed to cook them correctly.  When they feel firm to the touch (appox. 15-20 minutes), they're done.  NEVER boil before hand, it's unnecessary and quite frankly disgusting - you'll simply boil out all the flavor.  If you're preparing for a big party and people will be eating them all afternoon/night, a "holding bath" of beer, onions and butter is acceptable AFTER they come off the grill.  Something like this in a slow cooker on low is acceptable:
    * 2 cans light beer
    * 2 Tablespoons butter
    * 1 medium onion sliced up
    Bonus: the onions are great after they soak a while in the beer & onions.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• volntitan
    Options
    Thanks. I'll be cooking them the day before. A slow cooker to warm them up in the beer mix (not light beer...don't have any light beer in the house, but tons of craft). I don't have a generator so can't plug a slow cooker in, unless my power inverter would handle it off the car battery.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    The one time I did sausage I cooked indirect for an hour at 300 and then braised in beer and onion for a bit just for some more flavor. Turned out great.
  • volntitan
    Options
    I know might be stupid question, but how do you know when they are fully cooked? I don't want to over cook them
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I stab one of them with the thermapen to check the temp when I think it's done, to make sure it's over 140.  I don't think a tiny hole in one sausage is going to be noticed.