Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Byrons butt rubb

92Egghead
92Egghead Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Man, this stuff is 99.9 % salt. Much different from dizzy pig rubs. Not what I was looking for. Anyone actually like Byron's ?

Comments

• I like it but I mix it with turbinado sugar. It's way too salty by itself.

Matt

Huber Heights, OH

• Not a fan, but a lot of people swear by it.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I used it on a pork butt and it was great.   Used it on ribs and found it a touch salty. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ME............................................................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I used it on a pork butt and it was very good. I will try DP original for my next one.
    LBGE
  • mix 60/40 with brown suger on pork butt is hard to beat

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    It works great straight on pork butt. I used a 75/25 rubb/turbinado sugar mixture on ribs and really liked it. 
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I mix it also.  John Henry's Pecan Rub and BB together on ribs and butts really good.  It is much too salty alone.  I have been experimenting lately with rubs.  Got some samples of DP.  Just tried the Red Eye Express a couple of nights ago on Tri-Tip.  It was really good, I think it would be great on a pork roast.

George
  • I use it straight. But we salt about everything down here.

XLBGE 
  • I've had no complaints w/ it.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I'm about through my first 'quart' of BBBR and would give it a seven. I did not think it was too salty on a pork butt, maybe a little on ribs but I like salty, too. 

The listed ingredients start with salt, that's always a clue because, I think, listed ingredients are to be in order of percentage. It's a very straightforward rub that also uses garlic and paprika and uniquely chipotle powder (smoked jalepeno). And it contains no sugar, which is fine. 

I would like it if rubs did not have any salt or sugar since I could add that part myself. It is their otherwise custom blend that I'm after. Butt they're designed to be used right out of their containers. 

Dizzy might be better because of turbinado sugar (whatever that is), and I would give Dizzy Dust at least an eight.

I would like to find a rub that smacks of Bone Suckin' Sauce butt until I do I'll just use BSS. 
  • Maybe I should try it on meat instead of judging straight from a spoon. I will mix with some turbinado and see how it goes.
  • I've been using Byrons for a year or so now and really like it. I was fortunate enough to find it on sale ( a steal) at Kroger in Carrollton Ga. for $10.99 for a 26 oz "jar". I bought all they had, 6. My local ACE sells the 26oz for $19.99. I'll add some turbinado and give it a taste. Great suggestion.
  • I thought this was salty too.  I prefer the DIzzy Dust.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I mix it with turbinado sugar and use on chicky wings and legs......
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I actually really like it, I am about to use it on my first butt this weekend, but have used it frequently on brisket. But I once heard Myron Mixon say (on some youtube video) say something along the lines of if you buy a rub and you have to mix it with something else then its BS. So I use straight out of the box. I will be ordering one of MYrons rubs, the guy knows what he's doing. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would like to find a rub that smacks of Bone Suckin' Sauce butt until I do I'll just use BSS. 
    They do have a Bone Suckin rub.  Have you tried it?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I find it salty too. I was considering coating a pork roast in honey or maple syrup then using this rub.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I've been making my own using Mike Mills Magic Dust recipe. I cut down the salt and add more sugar.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Bought a 7 pound jug if that tells you anything. Great on pork. I usually mix 1/3 Susie q, 1/3 cow lick, and 1/3 Byron's and its great on about everything.
  • Byron's is awesome!!!  I wouldn't eat it plain, but really really like it on pork.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited November 2012
    Bad Byron's is my "house" rub.  Have a 24oz shaker on the counter.  Family loves it on their fries.  I use it in my homemade burgers, meatloaf, chicken wings, fatties, etc.  Bad Byron's combination of flavor and price allows it to be so.
    I do have a selection of Dizzy Pig stuff as well. The Red Eye, Coarse Grind, and Swamp Venom are my fav's there.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• It's my all around favorite, been using it for many years,,,,,,,,,,,,

• I have been trying Oakridge rub and so far I like it a lot.  If you go to their website, they send you a sample of each of their rubs for $5.  I like the competition rub on my ribs and butt.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ShortRIb said:
    I have been trying Oakridge rub and so far I like it a lot.  If you go to their website, they send you a sample of each of their rubs for $5.  I like the competition rub on my ribs and butt.
    Thanks for the tip...I'm gonna go get some samples.  BTW...like the handle ;).  My buddy who is much taller than me calls me Short Rib. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.