Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turbo method, bend test, boating?

Options
MJQ8
MJQ8 Posts: 43

Hey there,

New to cooking on the BGE (large).  Read about some terms I have never heard of; turbp, bend method, boating...Can someone please explain these.

Thanks in advancde for your help...

Mike

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

I'll give two of three a shot-turbo refers to cooking (low&slow) at elevated temperatures compared to historical and recipe directions.  Generally applies to pork butts, ribs and even packer briskets.  Dome temps (instead of around 220-250*F) for this style cook will run in the 300-350*F range with attendant shorter cook times. You can try Google with "turbo xxxxx and big green egg" and you should get actual posts.

Bend method refers to the bend test to determine doneness of full racks of ribs.  Key is full rack-pick up with a set of tongs on one end and if the rack bends to around a 90* angle, the ribs are done.  Now if you have to cut the racks to cook, then the toothpick test comes into play-insert a toothpick in the thickest meaty part of the ribs-no resistance in or out and they are done.

I will pass on boating as realted to the BGE.

Welcome and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "boating" is where you float on water using a "boat" - a vehicle that displaces a volume of water much greater than its own weight, thereby not sinking. :)

Seriously, I'm in the same boat as you on that one. Would like to know what it means. I do like motor boating though.