Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want a sweeter tasting rib.....

Got a St Louis style rack thawing for tomorrow's supper. I usually rub mustard on both sides of the rack and then give it a good coating of Bone Sucking Rub. and then on to the egg. This time I was thinking about some thing more sweeter tasting. Just wondering if I added brown sugar to the rub before I coat the ribs, if that would transfer to the meat and give us a sweeter taste. I am also thinking about going indirect and on a raised grate. About 5" higher than the normal height of the grill on a large. 
Was watching Triple D the othe night and they had ribs that had a browner bark, so the end looks was more brown (brown sugar) than black. The looked so good. Should have paid more attention to what they were doing.
Any ideas out there.
TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Maple flakes work

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• At the end of my ribs I make a melted butter, brown sugar, apple juice concoction and brush them down with it and pour some in when I foil them for the last hour. Don't know how sweet your wanting, this isn't overpowering but does add a sweet hint. Saw it on BBQ postmasters or something like that.

XLBGE 
  • Typically I will pull the thawed ribs from the fridge, pull the membrane, and let em sit about 15 min, then hit them heavy with my homemade rub.  As they come to room temp the rub turns to almost a syrup, then I hit them again with brown sugar. I do this on both sides, starting with the bone side after I pull the membrane. I like to dry out the brown sugar before applying it to the ribs, it's much easier to spread. Do this by dumping a bunch on a cookie sheet and throw it in the oven at about 225 for two or so hours. Periodically take it out and stir it around because to will clump as it dries. I make it in large batches that way and vacuum seal it.

I always cook my ribs flat, don't use a rib rack. This method always seems to give me a nice bark.

I have never tried the mustard thing, I just have this mental block about putting that yellow stuff on. I will eventually try it though on ribs, just never think about beforehand.

I've done maple flakes as well, I mixed them in my own rub recipe. Nice flavor. Got the maple flakes from Williams Sonoma.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I tried a 2-1-1 and on the wrap I coated with brown sugar and honey. A little sweet for me. Next time I'll do the honey and re-dust in the last hour.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • If you use cayenne pepper in your original rub, you might want to omit it. I've found by leaving it out the sugars aren't overpowered. Brown sugar will give it a good bark with a sweeter flavor. Ive also used a little white sugar, which sweetens it up nicely. Using an apple juice spritz every hour, and using a glaze towards the end of the cook consisting of anything from maple syrup, ribbon cane syrup, honey, apple jelly and a high sugar content BBQ sauce will add a lot of sweet flavor. Experiment and try what you have on hand. Its hard making a bad rib on the Egg.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    When in a sweet mood,  I like to spritz with some orange juice and add some type or marmalade to the sauce toward the end.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I don't use regular Blues Hog BBQ sauce on my ribs because I find it too sweet.  If that's available, I would try that.  It would definitely sweeten things up with your ribs.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I don't like sweet ribs but my family does.  So I do my basic ribs but glaze theirs with Blues Hog.  If that was any sweeter it would be cotton candy! 

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Shaking the Tree rub with Bone Sucking Sauce. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • My wife likes sweeter ribs that I do.    I usually make two racks.   One is just the rub and one is 50/50 rub and brown sugar.     It make them sweeter for her.     So yes, add brown sugar is should help.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Shaking the Tree rub with Bone Sucking Sauce. 
    + 1

Great combo!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Wow thanks for all the help. Gotta decide what to do tonight and gett er done. Haven't seen Shaking the Tree around here, or Blues Hog. You all have so much more selection south of the 49th. Dang! I might try to mix Bone Sucking Rub and Brown Sugar in a small batch and see what it tastes like before, and then decide if it will be something I want to try. Will try to find Maple Flakes tomorrow too. Might have to mix a little of everyones ideas and come up with something. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I really like a spray of equal parts apple juice, apple cider and jack every 15 minutes the last hour. In my experience it adds bark and a richer sweater flavor profile.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • JoeGrill
    JoeGrill Posts: 24
    edited October 2012
    We smoked some spare ribs a couple of weekends ago, went the sweet route and liked it. Surprisingly it wasn't overly sweet and the wife loved it. I used a local competition pork rub, then generously rubbed honey and brown sugar all over. About an hour before taking them off the egg, I basted it with Regular (not sweet) BBQ sauce. Great!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Well the meal is finished. Ended up doing a mixture of 50/50 Bone Sucking Rub and Brown Sugar. I could find Maple Flakes. This time I didn't rub mustard on the ribs before the rub, just rub and then wrapped them up and put in fridge for a day. I went indirect, legs up, with just a  piece of AF to keep the PS clean. No water in a pan. Temp was 230-240. Laid the rack bone side down right on the grill. Flipped it over after 2 hours. Total cook time was 5 1/2 hours.
    Made some Root Beer Beans too. Got the recipe, I believe off the forum, I changed some of the ingredients.
    2 small cans of Bush's Beans
    diced onions
    diced jalpenos
    diced red pepper
    5 slices of bacon, grilled extra at breakfast for this
    1/2 cup of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce
    1tsp Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 cup of Root Beer
    Every body in the pool:) Dutch Oven and then onto the egg with the ribs for a couple of hours.
    Ribs turned out very nice, not quite fall off the bone, but very tender mama commented on them, so that was good, beans were great, all in all it was a very fine meal. Will be keeping this one for sure

Large, small, and a mini
  • Try Sassy Jones "Suga Rib Rub". The best. Just use this rub, no sauce needed.