Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime plan

Options
5lb. Start at 2:30...finish around 5. 250 indirect. Mustard/shire rub. Can't decide between K salt and pepper or some chop house rub someone gave me. Cut of cap and tie on?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Assume you are talking about a prime rib roast, if so then just a simple seasoning like the S&P or maybe a Montreal type seasoning.

I think the main thing with a cut this good is to just not get in the way of the fabulous flavor of the meat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Your cook temp and time are right with what I see (250*F indirect around 25 mins/#).  I'm a fan of simple with prime rib-kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  If getting out to the wild side I may rub with some rosemary but that's it-the beef will set the table.  WRT the cap-personal preference. Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll go kosher and fresh pepper. I hate to try a new rub on a $55 prime roast.
  • henapple
    Options
    Pan with water under it?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No need for the pan with water-but if you want to use the drippings for a sauce/gravy then go ahead-the meat doesn't need it but the knock-on tastes great.  But do use a pan or foil on the heat deflector (platesetter?) just for ease of cleanliness if nothing else.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Options
    Wasn't sure if a dry pan would hurt it.
  • henapple
    Options
    One more question...yeah, right. I'm thinking 135 finish temp. So, take off around 115-120, crank up to 500 to 125, let rest for 30?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I don't do the finish sear so the following is offered with that disclaimer-the finish temp is your choice-but without the sear expect the roast to rise 7-10*F while resting (tented but not wrapped in foil).  The sear shouldn't really drive the finish temp but what do I know...Enjoy!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think I would pull it at about 125 and just let it rest for 20-30 minutes and let the egg heat up, then throw it back on for just a short time to get a crust.  You can throw it on direct but that can be a little scary because of the fatty flare up.   Chris @NibbleMeThis has a great write up:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Apparently Chris disagrees with me that he has a great write up!  :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    Options
    The roast came out great. The mustard/shire rub with the s&p really gave a nice crust. I took it off at 110-115 then let it rest, uncovered for about 15 while the egg heated. Put it back on till I hit 130, pulled it, covered and let sit while I showered. The temp didn't rise on the last resting which left me a little more rare than I expected but now I know. Really good beef...

Thanks for the help.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Glad it came out tasty, henapple.  It's hard to predict where the final temp will be after a reverse sear and a big chunk of meat like a standing rib roast.  I sear sometimes, but the inside of the roast is the best part, so mostly I shoot for a perfect rare.
    Options
    Glad to hear it came out well...I mean rare...I mean good!  Better too rare than too done!  I'm looking forward to smoking a few of these during the holiday season.