Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp vs Grill Temp

Options

Hi guys,

When cooking with the platesetter in a long cook (10 hours or more), will the dome temp and the grill temp be the same?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.  Noobie trying to get up to speed with new XLBGE.

XLBGE, Weber, and Barbeques Galore Gasser

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    During a low & slow, the dome and grid temps pretty much equalize after a while. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

During a low & slow, the dome and grid temps pretty much equalize after a while. 

Word. However I saw some funny stuff last night, it was pretty cold and windy out. My dome temp was stuck on 250 but my grate temp fluctuated any where from 200-250. But most of time it equalizes after a little while 2-3 hrs.

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    My dome stays about 40 degrees higher even on the low and slows.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Mine start out as much as 50 degrees different and eventually merge to about 20 degrees or so higher in the dome.  I really don't pay much attention to the dome temp on a low and slow though, I only care about what the temp is where the meat is (at grid level).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited October 2012
    Options

Okay- as you are aware, most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out at least for the LBGE.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook. Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    My grid & dome stay just about the same on my low and slows.. I guess that's a good thing..
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Options
    I did a low and slow yesterday. An hour after starting, the dome and grid were the same and stayed that way throughout the cook.