Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Way to Do Wings and Wingettes on the Egg?

tvest43
tvest43 Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in Poultry
Ya'll's input would be great......

Comments

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited May 2012
    This is how I do them. Give the wings a good sprinkle of Dizzy Dust or your favorite rub, 400 indirect flip them
    about 25 minutes and cook other 20 minutes or so then put them in a large bowl tossed them with a 70/30 mix of
    Sweet Baby Ray & Franks Red hot Buffalo wing sauce and back on the
    grill for a couple of minutes each side. Ok getting hungry just talking about it
  • I do a raised grid (just an extra weber grate sitting on 3 bricks) at about 400-425 for 45 mins. I marinade with EVOO, and a rub. I turn the wings every 5-10 mins. The time isn't exact, I just cook them until the skin is nice and crispy. For the last 15 mins or so I had a handful of hickory chips. I like to do this towards the end because it gives the wings a nice little kiss of smoke without being over powering (my wife doesn't like a ton of smoke on her wings). I then take I sauce the wings in a bowl after I take them off. I wasn't a fan of putting them back on the grill after I sauce them, I found that I wanted to resauce them after they came off of the grill. My favorite wing sauce is produced here in Wisconsin by my buddies dad, "Right Wing Sauce" and yes there is an elephant on the bottle.

My wife claims these are the best wings she has every had.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I like to make a marinate of olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, rosemary, thyme, crushed red, s & p. 

I grill them raised direct in the 300-350 range. Nice and crispy plus a great mild smokey flavor to go with the other flavors.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    We cook wings all the time. Raised direct at 375ish. Flip once.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    +1 for Ottawa Eggman. I am not a huge fan of wings,( go ahead and flame me) I wanted to try wings, because that was the first thing I tried at an Egg demo when I was considering buying my large. They were great. Crispy skin and nicely done inside. I don't care for wings when they are kind of moist inside. Anyways I grilled let OE instructions, and man they were good. We are doing some again tonight, three flavors 1 with Franks Hot Sauce, 2 Teriyaki sauce, and thirdly a black bean sauce. 
    You need to do them. I am sure if you are a wings fan you love the grilling and the chowing down.
    Keep us posted.

Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I apply a rub and let them sit for a while. Then mix the leftover rub with cornstarch and shake the wings in a zip loc bag.

Then cook raised direct

Then into a bath of Arizona Gunslinger and butter

Then back on the egg for a few

Then serve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I did wings for the first time last week, WOW. I did 30-20-10. Indirect at 400 for 30 minutes, flip for 20, toss in sauce and back on for 10. I did sit them in the fridge first with some Dizzy for 3 hours. I did 3 sauces, sweet chili, Famous Daves Devils spit, and my own sweet sticky garlic.

Best wings I have had ever, and  I have had alot of wings everywhere.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Direct 400 and raised works for me. Like Bad Byron's Butt Rub on all and the last 10 min put Bone Sucking Sauce on half.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    +1 for raised direct. The last couple of batches I did with Habanero Death Dust. They were so good I skipped the sauce.
    George
  • Just don't make newbie mistake like I did... read the manual. LOL

After the salmon, will try wings indirect again, raised, 400F, 40 min, turn the grid a quarter every 10 minutes. Hope this exeriment works this time.