Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Chilli on the Egg

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I really like Bill Phillips' Hot Stuff Chilli from his Eating for Life book.  My wife put together all the ingredients before I got home from work.  I transfered it into the new dutch oven I picked up at the Lodge factory outlet center near Chattanooga and then let it simmer indirect at 350 degrees with hickory wood chunks for an hour and 10 minutes.  The smokey flavor made it even better.  Probably the best chilli I've ever had.  It is absolutely amazing how much the hickory flavor improved on what we thought was perfection.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    I'm getting hungry just looking at it ;-)

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The wife lady has a chilli recipe (no beans) from her dad. It is the best chilli I have ever eaten but I haven't made it on the egg yet. Its one of the few things she can cook so she likes to keep it all for herself. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dlk7
    BigWader - it looked kinda like this except it was in a Lodge DO, I was drinking Stoli Vanil and Diet Pepsi, and there were no beans.  Sorry - I thought a picture of the DO on the egg might be even more boring than some of my earlier posts.  Just wanted to express how much smoke the chilli picked up from simmering for a little over an hour with hickory chunks.  The other problem is I can't figure out how to rotate my pictures.

Waunakee, WI

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Save to desktop.  Rotate them on the desktop and then post.  Probably an easier way but this works for me.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • dlk7
    GLW - thanks, that worked great.

Waunakee, WI