Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen....Yahoo!!!

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a Thermapen...seems like a very quality product. I can't wait to cook something so I can try it out. I was also shocked to find out ThermoWorks is a Utah based company and shipped from my wife's hometown. Very excited to finally have one!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They're the industry standard instant read thermometer.  They're actually manufactured in England, if I remember correctly from the video on their web site.
    Love mine.  Even though it's pink.
    Good thing you got the gray one as it is the second fastest color next to the orange =)) It is also the second most important thing you can own next to that Egg. You will enjoy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I loved mine so much that I bought one for my camping trailer. Great for baking also.
  • nolaegghead
    I know.  I'm still beating myself up over buying the "slow" color.  :)

Since it's the only florescent pink item in the house, it's pretty easy to find.
    I, too, bought the fast color. ... I'm not sure how I ever grilled without it. I do know that meat never goes back on the grill in pieces because I cut into a chicken thigh only to learn it was raw in the center. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I got a really fast British green!  I love it.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    never screw up steaks using mine.....helps in "bomb proofing" some of our cooks...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I got mine a few days ago, and the wife had a good laugh as I went from one room to another measuring air temp.  Using it on my steak last weekend was amazing - the meat came out right at the temp I wanted.

I still think the one with the flames is fastest.  I just hope the flames aren't affecting the readings.

Anybody order the camo version yet?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I was going to get the camo one but worried I would not be able to find it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I think they are even fast if you install the new Thermaskins on them.image

http://www.smilinsantasbbq.com/thermaskins-1/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Love my thermapen. Been using now for a couple of years. my question is now it will go on and off when taking a temperature . Changed the batteries but still occurs. Yet, when a calibrate with crushed ice test, it is right on target. Has anyone else experienced this situation where the readings appear and disappear during a measure? Thanks.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Just recently pulled the trigger on buying the Thermapen - I wanted to get it b4 the People's Republik of Kalifornia implemented it's sales tax law on internet sales. 

I've used it several times & it certainly makes things easier, even though I have the Maverick 732 as well.  I like it for when I have several pieces of meat on the Egg, but the Mav can only monitor 2 at a time.  I also use it on the meat I have the Mav probes in - I poke the Thermapen in to a few strategic places to get several different readings. 

To me, the Thermapen is a WINNER (oh, and I got the super-fast GRAY one, or, as they say in the UK "grey")
    ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited October 2012
    beat this for fast :)

edit: crap it wasn't supposed to be upside down...
  • misu said:
    fixed
    no offense, but I'm pretty sure the tiger-striped one can outrun & overtake the zebra-striped one!! 
    :))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Ok I know I will get tomatoes thrown at me for this but I bought the Maverick BGE instant read thermometer and I really love it.  I had been meaning to pick up a thermopen but never did and when I was at Eggtoberfest I saw one of these being demoed and I got it.  One thing I really like about it is that it has a temperature chart right on it for a bunch of different types of meat and different levels of doneness.  It also displays white numbers on a black background which the guy said was better for reading at night as compared to black on a white background.  That probably is hogwash but I like the BGE instant read.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    booksw said:
    Ok I know I will get tomatoes thrown at me for this but I bought the Maverick BGE instant read thermometer and I really love it.  I had been meaning to pick up a thermopen but never did and when I was at Eggtoberfest I saw one of these being demoed and I got it.  One thing I really like about it is that it has a temperature chart right on it for a bunch of different types of meat and different levels of doneness.  It also displays white numbers on a black background which the guy said was better for reading at night as compared to black on a white background.  That probably is hogwash but I like the BGE instant read.
    No shame in food cooked to the right temp! Even if the temp took longer to get....  Just kiddin. It's good to see support for other brands as well.
  • nolaegghead
    And it's really nice to see the temperature chart even though you'll be overcooking all your food if you follow it on the unit. :)