Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer burgers

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I love venison. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Boom

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Man they look good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow...those look amazing! Not to big on deer meat but I'd give those a whirl.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

I hear ya FOF.

Bambi Burgers look great.

Looking forward to my brothers deer jerky and loins soon.

Corn fed doe and buck is hard to beat.  Healthy too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• FanOfFanboys
    Focker said:

I hear ya FOF.

Bambi Burgers look great.

Looking forward to my brothers deer jerky and loins soon.

Corn fed doe and buck is hard to beat.  Healthy too.

deer jerky might be one of my favorite things to snack on. I make as much as I can with each deer I kill.
    Boom
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I'm with you FOF...can't beat a good swamp donkey burger.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Oh my....those do look good. I'm hoping I can get a deer over Thanksgiving while we are down at the ranch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Did you mix any fat in with those?
  • FanOfFanboys
    IrishDevl said:
    Did you mix any fat in with those?

yeah the guy who processes them for me did. I don't know the ratio, but I believe he put beef fat in there.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Griffin said:
    Oh my....those do look good. I'm hoping I can get a deer over Thanksgiving while we are down at the ranch.

I got into bow hunting last year. Biggest thing I have learned: it is hard
    Boom
  • GLW
    ...and being patient!
  • FanOfFanboys
    GLW said:

...and being patient!

Yup! My biggest issue so far has been knowing when to stand up. Too early and I fidget; too late and I spook. I need more practice. But I'm enjoying it. Switched to using a climber full time, which has opened up hunting a lot for me. Can't imagine going back. Summit Viper is awesome.
    Boom
  • GLW

yep.  I have a summit titan as I hate heights and this feels like an apartment hung on a tree.  Once you get your first deer with a bow you'll be hooked for life!

Good luck FOF.

• FanOfFanboys
    GLW said:

yep.  I have a summit titan as I hate heights and this feels like an apartment hung on a tree.  Once you get your first deer with a bow you'll be hooked for life!

Good luck FOF.

Titan is awesome. Same as Vipee just bigger. But since I'm just over 160lbs I didn't need that room. Buddy has that model tho. Hard to beat anything Summit makes. I can't wait to get the first one with my bow. In SC there is no now season so I can use all day long, tho some locations call for my rifle.
    Boom
  • GLW
    Good luck.  scent controll very very important for a bow hunt.
  • Too old to climb up a tree in a Summit or even hunt on the ground any more, but I have enjoyed deer meat forever. A deer jerky recipe i had good luck with and chewed on while in a tree stand.

Mix together, for 1 lb of meat.

2 tbsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbsp. brown sugar

Cut meat into 1/4 inch pieces, any length.
    Refrigerate in a covered bowl for 24 hrs. Dry with paper towels. Spread meat on a oven rack @ 150* oven for 4 to 6 hrs. Turn meat over during cook. I used this recipe on my LBGE @ 200* , took less than 4 hrs. Turned out great. Caution, if you are going to cook more than 1 lb of meat don't double the amount of salt. 

;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • GLW
    Thanks buck dodger. Sitting in a tree now dedicated to you.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

wow those look great! i had the oppertunity to eat deer burgers again for the first time in several years this past summer. they were awesome. the guy who made them told me that he would get me some jerky . i have my fingers crossed that he will make it happen! i have been told that before.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Beef fat is interesting. When making venison sausage I would typically use pork fat.
  • FanOfFanboys
    I love deer jerky. Not many people in the world I share that prized possession with.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    IrishDevl said:
    Beef fat is interesting. When making venison sausage I would typically use pork fat.

I've always used pork fat for sausage. Man, I love deer onion sausage. Tasty stuff.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Too old to climb up a tree in a Summit or even hunt on the ground any more, but I have enjoyed deer meat forever. A deer jerky recipe i had good luck with and chewed on while in a tree stand.

Mix together, for 1 lb of meat.

2 tbsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbsp. brown sugar

Cut meat into 1/4 inch pieces, any length.
    Refrigerate in a covered bowl for 24 hrs. Dry with paper towels. Spread meat on a oven rack @ 150* oven for 4 to 6 hrs. Turn meat over during cook. I used this recipe on my LBGE @ 200* , took less than 4 hrs. Turned out great. Caution, if you are going to cook more than 1 lb of meat don't double the amount of salt. 

;)

I know that day will come for me eventually. Def appreciate recipe. While several things on my Egg to-do list jerky tops it.
    Boom
  • Venison meatloaf on the egg is now a big favorite.  Try your favorite meatloaf recipe with ground venison and cook for about an hour @350 (in pan the whole time).

and digging the treestand talk here!!  pleasant surprise

• FanOfFanboys
    @randallB I will def try that soon. Ha and we can create and OT thread just for stand and hunting talk. I also hunt turkey and wild pig as well as catfish and smallmouth bass. I just sold bass boat and I'm buying a new G3 (still deciding what floor plan I want, options, etc) and I'm going to start duck hunting next season.
    Boom
  • GLW
    For me it's all about hunting, egging and drinking good craft beer!
  • Oooohhhhh Yeaaahhhh!  :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oooohhhhh Yeaaahhhh!  :-bd
    On that note, deer jerky makes me go.......

oh-yeah koolaid
  • GLW
    That's what i'm talking about!
  • How 'bout it! Man those look awesome. I have a deal set up with my buddies since 1) I have the BGE. And B) I have the big freezer. They kill it, I grill it! I have mastered deer burgers! Usually cook for a number of people at a time at cook outs so its:

2lb processed deer burger
    1lb processed deer patty sausage
    Panco Bread crumbs
    Italian Seasoning to taste
    2 eggs 

Sometimes get a little craft and stuff with bacon and cheddar... Cant beat it! 

Looking for ways to try and make some deer jerky now.
  • GLW
    Going to try this.