Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My take on meatloaf for tonight's dinner

jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My plan for my first meatloaf on the egg:

INGREDIENTS:
14 oz finely chopped leftover pulled pork
1 lb 90% lean ground beef
1 lb 73% ground chuck
1 cup skim milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup sonny's sweet BBQ sauce
1 cup finely diced vidalia onion
1 cup finely diced red/yellow/orange peppers
1 cup goldfish (ground into crumbs)
1/2 cup classic ketchup baked fries (ground into crumbs) 
1/2 tbsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
4 tbsp light brown sugar

I hand mixed for a couple minutes, until completely blended.

I made two loaves hand shaped into rectangular bricks

Placed in fridge uncovered until I am ready to cook around 3:30

Here is my plan for the cook:

Stabilize egg at 250 dome

Before putting the meatloaf in the egg, I am gonna lightly coat with yellow mustard and sprinkle on rub.

I am going to use Oakridge Competition beef and pork.

I am going to cook the loaves for about 2 hours or until internal temp hits 165.

I may then brush on some BBQ sauce and put back in for 10 minutes; then, pull, rest for 10-15 minutes under foil, slice and serve.

=================================================================================

Notes: I went with what I had laying around. I was out of bread crumbs, so I used the goldfish and baked fries. I didn't want to use all 73% chuck and have it be too fatty, so I mixed in equal parts 90% lean beef. I just happened to have a half gallon of Sonny's BBQ, so I used that. I wanted to use up the peppers, so I put some of those in. I also pulled the temp for the cook outta thin air, so in summary, YMMV.

How does the cook portion sound so far?

Some pics of the process so far:

My choice for crumbs:

leftover pork finely chopped:

loaves on the sheet pan I plan on keeping them on there for the first hour and then flipping them right onto the rack with the pan underneath for drips:

Comments

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    awaiting tasting and scoring from the judges...let us know how it turns out - great bob and weave on the fill in ingredients for the bread crumbs!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ok - mustard - rub and on the egg...

• also - wifey is not much of a smoke fan...but I snuck a couple of chunks of apple and a chunk of cherry in there. With the other flavors...it should be subtle. Each chunk was approx 2 inch cubes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great!  You definitely had to get creative with the ingredients.  Creative Loafing.  I apologize for that horrible joke.  There sure has been a meatloaf craze around here!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow goldfish!!! i like  that idea i may try to use that next time instead of bread crumbs or maybe a 50/50 mix! i also like to mix woshtershire and honey in with my ketchup. but the goldfish is a fantastic idea!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Looks great to me...how did it come out?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks great so far!

I'm curious to see how it turns out starting on the cookie sheet.  I had planned on putting it directly on the rack or on a frog mat on the rack.

Thanks for documenting your cook for us to see.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• we are at 135 internal - just cranked from 250 to 300 and CAREFULLY moved the meatloaf to the rack and put the drip pan underneath...gotta love the adjustable rig baby! Shooting for a 6pm dinner

• 145 internal - just cranked to 350 - gotta finish
  • SmokeyPitt
    Jim- how did the meatloaf turn out?  It looked and sounded awesome up to this point.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ok...scale of 1-10: 3

Gotta be honest, never thought I would say this, but there was too much pork in the mixture. I think it would have been awesome, but I was waaaaaay too heavy handed on the pork and the amount of BBQ sauce in the mix. The main issue was not that it didn't taste good. It did. The problem was that with all those flavors, the meatloaf was a one trick pony. There was only one note...pork flavor... that overwhelmed the palate.

I am gonna give it another go next week.

In the meantime, I am in desperate need of redemption. I am picking up 40 lbs of fresh chicken breasts for vacuum sealing and freezing in a couple hours. I am gonna put aside a couple pounds and try to crank out a delicious meal on the egg tonight.

Wish me luck...and if anyone has a killer, CAN'T miss chicken breast recipe, please post it here. :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    It sure looked good.  I for one have a hard time imagining 'too much pork flavor" ;).   I understand though how sometimes a recipe is good, but not what you were shooting for.  

I don't have any great secret recipes to chicken breast.  Are you doing bone-in, skin on...or boneless/skinless?   Chicken usually turns out pretty darn good in the egg no matter how you do it! 

• looks great. nice list of ingredients!

• doing some BS chicken :(