Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am Bi-forum and proud.

13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    while both forums have great cooks and lots of experience, the one thing i find missing on both forums is the creativity that newbies brought to the table every year. they came, were always quickly brought to speed, and brought alot of new cooks and talents to the table, was always good to see in the spring. now the old forum doesnt get the traffic of newbies and this forum at times seems too ruff and intimidating to someone new, you can easily see it in the woman count on this forum. the way i see it, both forums lost something but i keep coming back, maybe someday someone will post sauerbraten, ive never seen it or had it but want to try it this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I'm on a bunch of bbq forums. Sometimes its nice to check out what non-Eggers are cooking just to get a bit of inspiration, especially when one of the forum starts to get on a trend. I've seen this forum go on a wok trend, a pizza trend, a turkey trend (usually around Thanksgiving (but that goes for all food forums) and others. Right now I see meatloaf and prime rib popping up.

I think after 10 straight days of Eggin, I'm gonna take the night off. I don't feel like cooking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    this is eggzactly the reason it is so hard to be here. other than the sloowness of the typing i type in something and have to wait for it to show up on my screen and if i hit a wrong button it takes so long to figure out how many times i have to hit backspace. this is a cool spot and i will continue to come here but the typing slowness is dissapointing to say the least! plus all the hate that spews from some here!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    BENTE said:
     plus all the hate that spews from some here!!
    Bente, I don't see it that way.  Yes, there's probably more fights here, but I attribute that to people being honest (sure, discount the occasional troll).  Very soon, however, tempers die down and we return to Egging.  Certainly, I've had a few squirmishes, but I cannot think of one person here that I hold any grudge against.  All in all, people are here to help, and I have seen more innovative cooks here than any other place on the internet.... even from Mickey.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Did you just say you hated Mickey? I do too...was just asking

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Did you just say you hated Mickey? I do too...was just asking

Yes, but he's an American.  I hate Cannuks mostly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

Did you just say you hated Mickey? I do too...was just asking

i still think mickey has the funniest picture ever posted on the egg forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE said:
    Mickey is bi.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven

Me too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    BENTE said:
    Mickey is bi.
    He is bi and this is what he looks like. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Travis,
    Pam said if you set up your table next to us at Salado, she would keep weideros like Mickey and Little Steven at bay.  They should be VERY afraid.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven

Aw gary, I thought you and I were cooking together. I'm gonna do my sate and was hoping you would do something complimentary

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aw gary, I thought you and I were cooking together. I'm gonna do my sate and was hoping you would do something complimentary

Pam is my sous chef, mon Apértif.  I will be happy to have you hand me my spatula and gloves during my cooks, but I can't allow you in the kitchen.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    I was hoping to save some money by staying at your place if that's ok. I won't stay longer than the middle of May tops. Who knows, I might get to like hot weather. I would be thrilled to have you prepare my meals for a few months.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I was hoping to save some money by staying at your place if that's ok. I won't stay longer than the middle of May tops. Who knows, I might get to like hot weather. I would be thrilled to have you prepare my meals for a few months.
    Sorry, we just adopted Travis, and he just sent me an email stating that he has several blow-up plastic dolls that he likes to have some sort of an interface with.  Not sure what that means, but he says he needs an extra bedroom for his hobby. 

Sorry. We're all out of room.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Seriously, Travis can deflate his toys and store them under the bed...I've heard they don't take up much room that way

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768

Zippylip said:
    If Village Idiot posts a cook that I like, I don't resent it or you because you consider this to be a better forum, I just like your cook - your forum preferences are irrelevant to me
    But, you would never link it back on the other forum.  That has never been done., but the opposite is done daily.

Unless I'm missing something, didn't you just do the exact thing you're complaining about?

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1279718&catid=1

You are 'Santana' on the old forum, yes?  You posted a thread titled 'OT (sorta) Vanilla Extract' that when opened simply 'linked back' to your same post on this forum, yes?  

I'm trying to keep up here & figure out what you see is the actual problem.  I say that because if what I wrote above is all accurate, I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with it, link here, link there, duplicate full posts in both locations, post the same thread under different handles - it's all perfectly acceptable to me.  The only relevant factor in the entire process is that the information contained within the post is reaching the maximum number of people which is always good.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • the winning quote of this thread goes to Zippylip on linking posts:  "The only relevant factor in the entire process is that the information contained within the post is reaching the maximum number of people which is always good." 
    That is the reason why I am bi..
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Zippylip said:

Unless I'm missing something, didn't you just do the exact thing you're complaining about?

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1279718&catid=1

You are 'Santana' on the old forum, yes?  You posted a thread titled 'OT (sorta) Vanilla Extract' that when opened simply 'linked back' to your same post on this forum, yes?  

Zippy,

Somewhere in this thread, someone said that you could not link back to this forum from the other forum.  I wanted to see if that was true.  It is not true, which is good.  Also, I was curious to see if people on the other forum took offense at the link.  Apparently not, which is good.

It was just a test, Zippy, and not something I have done before or intend to do again.  I posted under a different handle because VI doesn't work over there.

Also, I don't recall complaining about the back link, I just thanked you for not doing it in your first post over here. Big difference, in my opinion.

Sorry I apparently pi$$ed you off.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip said:

Zippy,

Somewhere in this thread, someone said that you could not link back to this forum from the other forum.  I wanted to see if that was true.  It is not true, which is good.  Also, I was curious to see if people on the other forum took offense at the link.  Apparently not, which is good.

It was just a test, Zippy, and not something I have done before or intend to do again.
    Well I certainly don't know why you wouldn't do it again, we will disagree about that.  I was having difficulties posting pictures here (also a lot of trouble with photobucket, they 'upgraded' me & it's less user friendly than ever).  Anyway, what I figured out is I can create a post on the old forum using the old method (I write my post in Word including the image code then cut & past the entire mess in the post window).  This allows me to add text between each image easier, and when the post is complete & up I simply copy & paste it here, in that respect it is far easier to post here.  So I think that will be my method going forward.  As I've said before, to the extent I have any problem with linking anywhere is that I like to see what I want to see in the post itself without being redirected, it's just a convenience issue with me.  If people have the time & inclination it is very easy to duplicate the posts in their entirety on both forums.  Now, if I could figure out a way to also include the bbqbrethren life would be easier still - I've posted my stuff there for about 2 years but their format is different still, a direct link code is necessary & the pictures have to be uploaded one at a time, a real pain in the ass.  Still I like the brethren overall because it is a non brand specific forum so there is a much broader base of members that cook on everything imaginable. 
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip

Village Idiot, you said "Sorry I apparently pi$$ed you off." (that seems to have appeared as an edit after I commented on your post)

Not at all, I understood from the entire context of this thread that you objected to the linking back to the old forum as improper.  Seeing your posts over there linking here I then realized I must have been wrong, thus my pointing it out and my question. 

All that aside, I don't get pissed off from the goings on of any internet forum (probably would if I joined a political forum which might result in my wanting to strangle someone), I've always had a live & let live mentality, whatever any other member wants to do on the forum to suit his/her needs is fine by me.  

You've been around for a while, if you've ever read my comments in the realm of anonymous posting, off topic subjects, jokes, in jokes, poking fun at, well, everyone, you'd know that I don't take any of this serious.  To the contrary I do spend some time pondering why others do take it seriously

happy in the hut
  • Come Back Marc. Miss you at Octobertfest. The only time we get to drink a beer or two together. Milesofsmiles to you. Ronnie.
  • Zippylip
    Come Back Marc. Miss you at Octobertfest. The only time we get to drink a beer or two together. Milesofsmiles to you. Ronnie.

Hey Ronnie, couldn't make it to Octoberfest this year, too much going on up here.  Hope all is well with you
    happy in the hut