Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggCARTen and the SBGE

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of the main reasons I added a Small BGE to my egg family was the portability aspect. After seeing what some of my fellow small eggheads were doing and taking it in the car with a seatbelt and carrying it around trying to be careful I decided to get a EggCARTen  I think this will be perfect. It seems to be a great way to keep it stable and even easier if you have a friend to help carry it. 

It even has a built in bottle opener and a engraved production number on it. I'm #19! 

I'm taking the small camping next week and have been using it more and more to play with the temp controls and seeing how much you can do with the little guy. 

Working in California for most of last year I got my fair share of Tri-tip and really enjoy it. Well here in Oklahoma it is very hard to find or is expensive when you do find it at a butcher shop. So much to my surprise when I was at Target and came across this friday. 

Now being that I traveled 300 plus days a year traveling for the FAA I spent lots of time at restaurants and Guy's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives show was much of my inspiration to help keep my sanity eating out all of the time. I ended up going to 47 DDD spots and I went back to a few of them multiple times. So Guy's recipes are something that I have tried and like so I thought this would be good and it was! 

I got the SBGE to 500° and seared it for 4 minutes per side then foiled it and waited for the egg to get down to a touch below 400° then put it back on the grill till the thermapen hit 135°. 

As for some sides made some Pioneer Woman's Crash Potatoes and they are always a hit. Boil red potatoes until fork tender around 20 mins then crash them down throw on a sheet pan and into a 425° oven for 20 mins then I kick on the broiler for a couple more to brown them up. You could do them on the egg but I just was using the small so I used the oven. 

Once the Tri-tip was resting in the kitchen I threw on some fresh green beans coated in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper. 

Tossed in a Garlic Pull-apart bread from target into the lower rack in the oven while the potatoes were cooking. 

It ended up being a great meal and the Tri-tip was delicious! 

Yesterday we did a Caribbean Jerk marinated Spatchcock chicken with some roasted corn on the LBGE it was perfect simple gameday food! 

This might have been the best spatchcock yet! 

I totally forgot about the Dizzy Pig sampler pack I got with my swing rack and threw some Pineapple head on some pineapple and tossed it on the egg. 

Its been a great weekend so far and the Sooners played great yesterday! 

I also found a great way to repurpose the teak shower stool I had to use while recovering from ankle surgery. It even has similar lines to the EggCARTen! 

I hope everyone's weekend is going as good as ours! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012
    Wow. In that very last pic, most of us just cut the kids allowance.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    @Mickey on halloween we put a spot light on it and if the kids step inside they can see it in the backyard. We like to tell them it was the final trick or treater from last year.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Mickey said:
    Wow. In that very last pic, most of us just cut the kids allowance.

:))

Solson005, looking good. I'm waiting for your mini review of the EggCARTen after your upcoming trip. I may pick one up. I have been using a Pot Lifter (which is nice) but EggCARTen looks like it would be nice for bringing charcoal as well. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Used my mini egg carten at eggtoberfest this weekend. The carten is really nice and much lighter than I was expecting. I will be getting one for my small soon.
  • Solson005
    @Sgt93 I did a little test run of cooking on the Small while it was in the EggCARTen last night and had it to 625° and the bottom of the carten only got to 110° Here is a picture of it at 450° and it had only gone up 1 degree. Its pretty easy to move around, I'll post more after my trip but I think its a winner already! 

@Lit how did you like eggtoberfest? I wish I didn't live halfway across the country and could have made it. 

• Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40

Solson; How neat to search for "Camp Bread" this morning and  your post from yesterday was the first post that came up.  Our son, Scott, designed, builds and sells the CARTens.  He made the first CARTen for us after we bought a SBGE and needed a way to transport easily and safely.  I'm so happy that you love yours; we use ours at home and when we leave for the winter in our fifth wheel.  It's so much easier than hugging the SBGE.  I told him that I thought others might want to have a CARTen and here we are .....he has sold quite a few and always gets rave comments on the forums.  Thanks also for providing the link to his blog about the CARTens.  Your "stage" area for your Eggs is really neat.  Unfortunately we are in Ohio and the weather here is not great for such a setup. 

Sandy Lewis

• Solson005
    edited October 2012
    @Mawger it is such a good idea and he did a great job making it for you and continuing to produce them for the rest of us eggheads. I had read some of your posts and that was one of the factors in making my purchase. I like your new table, so it can stay in the CARTen and is ready to go whenever. Thanks for the kind words about our eggs home, a Oklahoma wind storm took out a huge tree and we put up the Pergola and shade sail in its place to keep the back porch shaded. The egg came after it was built just about a year ago and then we finished the patio this past summer. It is great to have the extra patio room for all the family get togethers we have been having at our house more since everyone really enjoys food from the egg! The hanging skeleton is normally for a hammock swing chair, but skully comes out for halloween. 

I guess I'll have to make Camp Bread since my name is what pops up when you make it. haha
  • Sgt93
    @Solson005, I believe Franco is working on a swing rack for the small and maybe something for the mini as well. At least that's what the hint sounded like. I like the woo for the small but will buy a swing rack for sure. The small is my wing making machine. I need real estate! :))
  • Solson005
    @Sgt93 I would pick up a small swing rack in a second! I haven't cooked without the woo in the small yet and like the raised grid. A second rack would be perfect for veggies and wings! 
  • Sgt93
    Solson005 said:
    @Sgt93 I would pick up a small swing rack in a second! I haven't cooked without the woo in the small yet and like the raised grid. A second rack would be perfect for veggies and wings! 
    I agree. I haven't cooked without the woo in the small either. I may make a small brisket in the small this week. Long cooks in the small will be interesting.
  • Solson005
    @Sgt93 I agree, a spatchcock followed by green beans and a 6 pizza cook another night is the extent of my experience over an hour on the small so far. I'll probably do a pork butt after my camping trip.