Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

back flash

nozob1
nozob1 Posts: 43
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I know that when grilling steaks on high heat (500 up)  that you can experience back flash.....but I have had it happen last night while using a plate setter and the temp was at 350 grilling sausages.  The grill had been cleaned out and all new Big Green Egg coal was added.  It also happened another time while grilling chicken breast at 350 without the plate setter.  I burped it for a few mins..you could see that flames coming out from under the plate sette ron  to the outside of the egg.

We used the" 2 finger (350), 1 finger (250?) guide line"..the daisy wheel was not open much at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    The conditions for flashback are - you have a big, hot fire and you choke that fire down (close the lid after running for a while with the lid open or choke the dampers back on a hot fire), so all these hot combustion gases are accumulating in the egg but there isn't enough oxygen to burn them.  They're getting vented out the top if you don't open the lid, but when you do, the sudden influx of O2 causes a mini FAME (Fuel Air Mixture Explosion). 

Also, you can get this more often if you light from the bottom.

The conditions for flashback are - you have a big, hot fire and you choke that fire down (close the lid after running for a while with the lid open or choke the dampers back on a hot fire), so all these hot combustion gases are accumulating in the egg but there isn't enough oxygen to burn them.  They're getting vented out the top if you don't open the lid, but when you do, the sudden influx of O2 causes a mini FAME (Fuel Air Mixture Explosion). 

Also, you can get this more often if you light from the bottom.

+1
    I have no idea. Just agreeing with Nola cause he's smart.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    @henapple - awww shucks, thanks for the vote of confidence! :)   I learned that the hard way...
    I've learned a lot from you, Cen Tex, Griffin, etc....thanks. Plus, you stole my small egg in NO.lol
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

had the same thing happen the other night - except I was holding my daughter in one arm and opened the lid with the other - the flash spooked her and singed my arm hair.  Only having cooked on it maybe a dozen times was a good enough reminder for me.

After the initial shock I thought it was cool to watch the flames lapping in mid air (combustion gases) above the plate setter. 

The next time I opened she was far enough away on the ground and I did burp it - even though I was cooking at 325.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Burping is not the best way to prevent flashback, in fact, it can make it worse. If you knock the daisy and lower vent open a few seconds before you open the dome you will be ok.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AJT
    AJT Posts: 5
    On my last cook (ribs), I let the fire get going a little too long while I prepped the meat with the lid open and damper wide open.  I put the wood chunks on, platesetter in, grate on and attached the DigiQ, then closed the lid and set the daisy wheel.

It had a lot of smoke pouring out the top from the freshly applied wood chunks, but what amazed me was about 5 minutes after having closed the lid to bring it down to temp, the egg effectively burped itself.  I heard a 'whoomp' and the lid popped up ever so slightly enough for smoke to release from under it.  Kinda scared me a bit, never had that happen before.
  • Burping is not the best way to prevent flashback, in fact, it can make it worse. If you knock the daisy and lower vent open a few seconds before you open the dome you will be ok.
    +1 ... I was going to state that. But I only do the bottom vent. I open it up 100% wait a sec then open it up the lid. then I move my lower vent back to were I had it. 
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    When cooking above 350 on my XL , I leave the daisy wheel top sitting on the table. Using the lower vent for temp control. Since I started doing this I haven't had a flash back.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Burping is not the best way to prevent flashback, in fact, it can make it worse. If you knock the daisy and lower vent open a few seconds before you open the dome you will be ok.

Steven you might have said that a few YEARS ago. Will try it NOW.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    Thanks everyone!  I have had flames shooting out of the very top at times..scary!  I will try what Steven, Miscjames and Garlic suggested with fully opening the daisy wheel and the bottom vent.  I also wear welder's gloves whenever I open the Egg.

The first time it happened, it really scared me.  Did the burping etc..all of a sudden, It made that "whoomp" sound..here came the flames.YIKES! .I jumped back and BANG!  Down went the lid!

woo boy!  ..."A.R.E.  Always Respect your Egg!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Flames out the top? Scary? Sounds like a good time to me.....
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nozob1 said:
    Thanks everyone!  I have had flames shooting out of the very top at times..scary!  I will try what Steven, Miscjames and Garlic suggested with fully opening the daisy wheel and the bottom vent.  I also wear welder's gloves whenever I open the Egg.

The first time it happened, it really scared me.  Did the burping etc..all of a sudden, It made that "whoomp" sound..here came the flames.YIKES! .I jumped back and BANG!  Down went the lid!

woo boy!  ..."A.R.E.  Always Respect your Egg!
    There's a good reason for a gasket - softens the "bang" when you drop the lid after a flashback :)